This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manipal Hospital. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why do you think you regained your weight?

More from Manipal Hospital

If a patient gains a significant amount of weight after surgery it might be an indication of a problem. It is rare to find someone who has gained a significant amount of weight after Gastric Bypass. Your treatment choices include:

Therapy:

It may be important to seek therapy to determine why you are struggling with eating, exercise, and other changes. Nutrition counseling can be very useful to address the issue.

Pouch Reset:

Pouch reset is an excellent option to avoid excess weight gain after surgery. In this technique, the patients go back to the diet that they had immediately after surgery to “shrink” their pouch and make it normal. However, there is no evidence of this technique to be authentic, but many patients find it very useful. Take a doctor’s advice before going forward.

Revision Surgery:

Revisions for Gastric Bypass is necessary if changes have occurred in your stomach or intestines. They do come with an increased risk of complications, therefore it should be the last resort. Consult a doctor before deciding on a revision surgery.

Evaluate is your diet and exercise if you have gained weight after surgery.

Back pain is the side effect of weight gain:

Many people in Europe and America have become obese. Modern lifestyle and food choices have been affecting the health of many people around the world.  Obesity has led to rise of chronic pain and other health issues.

Excess body weight can worsen chronic pain. Excess body weight can cause more stress on the bones and cause damage to the cartilages and bones. People who are overweight are twice more likely to suffer back pain than normal people. Some other kinds of chronic pain conditions are common in people who are not overweight are abdominal pain, chronic headaches, fibromyalgia, and pelvic pain.

Studies have shown that people complain more about chronic pain as their BMI increases. People who are morbidly obese may experience chronic pain in many parts of their body.

The link between weight and chronic pain:

Excess weight is often linked to pain. Many patients say chronic pain is the reason behind their weight gain. The relationship works both ways.

Carrying too much weight can add to the stress on joints. Excess weight can compress the spine, and narrow disk spaces which can cause chronic back pain. Being overweight makes it harder for people to be physically active. Exercise has been successful in curing chronic pain. Psychological stress can also add to the distress of chronic pain.

Recent studies have suggested that the fat tissue may produce chemicals that will increase the perception of pain. Obesity has also been linked to increased inflammation in the body. This may be one of the reasons to amplify the sensation of pain.

Spine problems linked with weight gain:

If you have excess weight your spine bears the entire burden. When you have gained excess weight your upper spine cannot straighten out properly. Over time, you may develop an unnatural curvature. This means that your neck is always bent forward and your head leans over your chest. It all happens incrementally and you may not even notice it until it shows up in your X-rays.

Weight gain in your abdomen area can force your pelvis to slant forward. This leads the pelvic to come under a tremendous strain, trying to carry all your weight. When your pelvic moves forward, your lower back curves forward and suffers; this puts more pressure on the nerves, leading to back pain.

Once your back has been pulled out of normal alignment because of weight gain, your bones, muscles, and ligaments, have to work very hard to carry the weight. As a result the nerves exiting in your spinal column will also become constricted. A disc may bulge or herniate, and you will experience back pain. If you are overweight this process may happen over a period of time.

More from Manipal Hospital

By Anusha S

By Masai School