This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by mumbai bodo society society. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Open Letter: Bodos Seek Housing In Mumbai For Better Living Conditions

To
Shri Hagrama Mohilary, Honourable Chief Executive,
Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC),
P. O. & Dist: Kokrajhar, Assam
PIN – 783370

Sub – Request for building a Bodoland House in Mumbai, Maharashtra.

Honourable Sir,

While extending our sincere greetings to you and the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC), we would first like to introduce ourselves. We are the residents of Mumbai, Maharashtra, and we have already formed the Greater Mumbai Boro Kachari Association (GMBKA), under registered number F-8670/2000, for the purpose of, inter alia, the welfare of the Bodos living in and visiting Mumbai.

We appreciate your efforts for initiating various welfare measures and adopting numbers of schemes with an ultimate aspiration of developing the Boros and all the communities living in Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD). We hope and expect that your schemes that endeavour to deliver the maximum benefits to all the members of the Bodo community will also be made available to Bodos living in or visiting Mumbai.

With strong hopes and expectations in our mind, we urge you to extend your welfare schemes to Mumbai at least by way of building a Bodoland House similar to the ones you have already built at New Delhi, Kolkata, Siliguri, etc.

Bodoland house in Kolkata

The reasons you should consider building a Bodoland House at Mumbai are as follows.

1.  Mumbai is the financial capital of India with the head offices of banks, companies and premier financial institutions (of India and abroad) located in the city, which cater to the needs of people involved in financial and employment activities.

In connection with interviews for jobs, employment in various institutions, training and tours, hundreds of Bodos come to Mumbai every month. But, as Mumbai is very costly city and finding cheap accommodation is very difficult, Bodos coming to Mumbai (for the purposes mentioned above) suffer from untold miseries while finding accommodation in Mumbai.

2. Mumbai is full of educational institutions, which provide education and technical know-how in medicine, engineering, social science, management, accountancy and hotel management (to mention just a few) to the young generation.

Hundreds of Bodo aspirants do come to Mumbai to seek admission in various educational institutions in Mumbai. These people find it very difficult to find an accommodation in Mumbai. Due to the lack of such facilities, some of them even have to return – frustrated and carrying with them a bitter experience. This in turn acts as a deterrent for the other students and professionals as regards coming to Mumbai. This is not an encouraging sign for the Bodos, as they too need good education so that they can compete with other students from more-privileged communities.

3. Mumbai has excellent medical infrastructure and establishments for treatment of serious ailments like cancer, cardiac problems, kidney troubles, etc. The Tata Memorial Centre is world famous – and thousands of Bodos, accompanied by their families, come here to have their ailments treated, especially cancer.

Again, because of the difficulty in getting accommodation, these people suffer untold miseries while staying in Mumbai.

4. Many Bodo girls and boys come to Mumbai for getting exposure to the entertainment industry (in singing, dance, music etc.) which will provide them the scope of earning for their own keep. However, the paucity of living accommodation again deters Bodo aspirants in these fields to come to Mumbai, which should not be the case at all.

Members of Mumbai Bodo Society demand a Bodoland House in Mumbai. (Image source: Mumbai Bodo Society/Facebook)

According to the GMBKA, the problems highlighted above would be addressed if Mumbai has a Bodoland House.

(i) In view of what’s been stated above, we humbly urge your honour to consider and decide to build a Bodoland House in Mumbai. If for some reason (say financial constraints), building an independent Bodoland House in Mumbai may not be possible, your honour may consider to buy at least two floors comprising of four wings or flats per floor in a building constructed by a reputed builder.

Two floors with four wings will give the BTC at least 32 rooms – which will surely mitigate, to some extent, the needs of BTC members and Bodos coming to Mumbai for various reasons. The flats so purchased may be redesigned to meet the purposes of the Bodos.

(ii) To enable your honour to make a budget estimate in this regard, the GMBKA would like to furnish the estimated cost of the proposed purchase of two floors in a building:

(a) One floor will comprise of four 3-BHK flats, that is, 4 rooms x 4 = 16 rooms
(b) Two floors will comprise of eight flats, that is, 4 x 8 = 32 rooms.
(c) The approximate cost of eight flats in suburban areas (including the cost of stamp duties and registration charges) may be ₹20 crores – payable in installments depending on the stage of construction. It is also pertinent to mention that the cost of the flats ready for possession may be higher than the cost of under-construction flats.
(d) Registration fee and the stamp duty on the value of the flats will be payable at the time when 20% of the value is paid to the builder. The builder will only execute the registered agreement for sale (in favour of the BTC) when he receives 20% of the value of the flats from the BTC. Again, it should be mentioned that the registration charges of flats ready for possession to be paid at one time.
(e) Since the payments need to be paid over a period of time, it will be financially less burdensome for the BTC to pay the value of the flats.

If required by the GTC, the GMKA will extend its support and assistance in identifying a plot of land (or the building built by a reputed builder, as the case may be), for materialising the proposal of building a Bodoland House in Mumbai.

Thanking you in anticipation,
Yours faithfully,
On behalf of Mumbai Bodo Society
Mr Bakul Chandra Basumatary, Mr Ramendra N Kochari, Mr Paniram Brahma (Advisers)
Mr Isan Kumar Brahma (President)
Dr Pralip Kumar Narzary (Vice-President)
Mr Birendra Nath Swargiary (Secretary)
Mrs Arundhati Mochahari (Joint Secretary)
Mr Hemanta Kumar Basumatary (Treasurer)
Mr Tuleswar Goyary (Thunlai Raja), Mr Bwsrang Basumatary, Mr Amarpriya Basumatary, Mr Biplob Boro, Mr Tarun Gohen Narzary, Mrs Bloomi Brahma, Mr Amar Borgoyary, Ms Fwishali Basumatary, Mr Ajit Kumar Wary, Mr Phungka Basumatary, Ms Anjali Mashahary, Mr Raja Mandal (Executive Members)

_

Featured image source: Mumbai Bodo Society/Facebook

More from mumbai bodo society society

By Rachana Priyadarshini

By sakshi upadhyay

By Priya Prakash