This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anjali Mahanty. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

If You’re An Artist And Not On Social Media, We Have Bad News

It is often said, “We need to present our work so that people can recognize you by your work.” Marketing ourselves via social media is largely a numbers game. The goal is to find and develop genuine relationships with people who are motivated to help us. We are members of a ‘personal’ profession.

The presentation is key for showcasing your hard work. Presentation skills are important to both individual success and success in a business. Presenting information clearly and effectively is a key skill to get your message or opinion across, and today, presentation skills are required in almost every field.

Let’s take the example of doodling. We often used to doodle in the last page of our notebook to pass the time. But who knew that it could change into an art one could be an expert in and have it pinned on their LinkedIn profiles?

It may seem like doodling will become a thing of the past as schools increasingly move towards digital textbooks and taking notes. But according to Shelley Paul and Jill Gough, there are always ways to adapt the practice and new opportunities that technology can offer.

Since many public school students can’t write in their paper textbooks anyway, perhaps they can sketch when they take notes virtually. Sketching with a stylus on a tablet, for example, could also offer some interesting new avenues for colour and design that pen and paper don’t.

More than anything, Paul and Gough want to offer multiple entry points for students to access learning. While doodling works for some kids, it might not for others and that’s fine. What’s most important is that teachers allow for variation in learning styles, even when it is unfamiliar to them.

As the ecosystem of digital media is growing, it has now become easy to create an asset in the public domain and publicise across numerous channels to get maximum exposure. For instance, Pinterest and Instagram can help us reach the relevant audience and they are also platforms to distribute and showcase art through the simple click of a button. These platforms are also well advanced in connecting directly with the customers who would be interested in buying or creating similar kind of art for their business purposes.

Seeing the recent increase in using such tools by seasoned and budding doodle artists, I spoke to an art and visual designer Ashima Kumar, and she said, “Social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram have come to be regarded as essential spaces for emerging artists to share their work. Earlier, one had to go through art galleries or art shows to showcase one’s art. But now social platforms have made it easy to reach a wider audience with no cost. There is no need to go looking for art curators or dealers any longer, an artist can curate one’s own art and sell to the customer directly.”

We all know that Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, etc are still perceived and as networking channels, but a few realise and know that slowly in the coming years, if used thoughtfully, they might become the source of self-built businesses.

More from Anjali Mahanty

By Manisha Singh

By ABHISHEK SHARMA

By Ajeet MalHoTRa