How understanding genetics could shape future of humanity

Posted by Ranjeet Menon
November 15, 2017

Didn’t we all gape in awe when the first of the X-Men movie franchise hit upon us? Genetic mutation, extraordinary powers, special skills, straight from the world of fantasy, right? Maybe it’s not.

Ever wondered how a brutal rape, murder or road rage happens? How is it possible to incite a group of people into a mob? The answers could all be in our genes. How does knowing this help? Simply put, to create a better version of us in the future.

Genetics is one of the most complex aspects of humanity which our knowledge of science hasn’t been able to explain. Genes are made of DNA, and modern science has been able to understand only 3% of our DNA in medical labs. More importantly, science is yet to answer the fundamental question that has perplexed everyone. How did we manage to take that leap suddenly from dumb Homo Erectus to intelligent Homo Sapiens?

Normal evolution would have taken millions of years more. What is even more perplexing is, if our evolution was normal, then why didn’t any other animal evolve like us in the same time span? I believe that all the answers lie in our genes. It is common knowledge that genes contain encoded information.

Take the case of any animal. Each tiger may have stripes unique to it, but as a species, every generation of tigers does the same things and behaves and lives the same way. Hunt, procreate and die. This should mean that all of them have a similar genetic structure with almost the same encoded information. So what is different about us? The answers might be in our genetic structure.

I believe that there could be two types of genes, immutable and mutable genes. Mutable genes are editable. This is just like normal and rewritable CDs. Mutable genes can store new information and are possibly rewritable and immutable genes are the ones with information from our ancestral genes which cannot be rewritten.

Now, if the majority of genes in animals are immutable and there are very few mutable genes, their behaviour would be uniform through the generations, and more importantly, new information would be added very slowly. Evolution happens because of genetic mutation when new information causes changes in our genes. Maybe this is why animals are slow in evolution. What happened to us then?

We have been created with a more significant genetic structure, and we probably have a larger pool of mutable genes. This must be the reason why we can learn, evolve and even create things. But how does gene mutation happen? This is what science has been able to find out now, about the rest of the 97% of our DNA.

Genes can be altered with information and information could be in the form of light, sound and all energy forms around us, at the correct frequency and wavelength. But this is already happening in our lives.

When I was shown the picture of an apple and was told that it is an apple, light from the image of the apple and the voice of my mother combined to create that knowledge in me. This could be the fundamental secret to our intelligence. A more substantial pool of mutable genes combined with the abilities of our five senses has helped us to learn and evolve faster.

An astrologer had told me once that members of every generation are connected to past seven generations in their family. Maybe it is true. I have no clue how that works. But I saw a connection there. The immutable genes we have must be carrying information from seven generations. Why seven? Maybe because older information may not be relevant and also, if no constraints were put on the amount of genetic information we are carrying, all of us would still be having genetic information from Adam and even from Homo Erectus. That would be an insane amount of information to carry which would be impossible.

When we are conceived in our mother’s womb, only our immutable genes are active, and it could be because of information in these genes that we resemble our parents and relatives in looks and some basic personality. This could also be the reason how we can identify our family members quickly when we are babies even though we have no sense of recognition at that time because the information in the immutable genes must be helping us make the connections.

So when the astrologer told me that the karma of past seven generations could affect us, it made sense to me. We are outraged every time we hear that a woman is raped. It is quite possible that one or more of the ancestors of the rapist may have been abusive to women, which was normally the case in olden times when women were trodden upon and abused by men. This information could be lying dormant inside the rapist.

When the rapist comes from a background where he has seen women being abused from his childhood, this information gets stored in his mutable genes. Then when he meets like-minded people, the combined effects could be triggering that ancestral gene to becoming dominant. In a way, I can substantiate this because it has been found that changes in genetic information precede the onset of cancer.

There was huge public outrage in India over the brutal rape of a young woman in a moving bus by a group of young men back in 2012. The irony is, the youngest of them who was 16 or 17 years old at that time had been the most brutal with the woman. How would it be possible to explain his behaviour? How many of us can rape a woman? It is not even a thought that crosses normal minds. Then what is different about the ones who indulge in it? How do we explain road rage? How do we suddenly lose our self-control to the point where we end up killing random people we have never even seen before?

Dormant information of our ancestors in our genes coupled with our experiences could be the possible reason. This is probably why many people who indulge in such crimes feel confused and lost afterwards because they are not able to explain their Mr Hyde personality.

So how does all the information help us? To understand each other to begin with. We might be sharing genetic pools with other people, but the common information could be very sparse, especially in a corporate environment where we could be working with people from all over the world, which in turn creates an incredibly diverse and complex genetic environment.

One thing said to such a group of people could be interpreted in so many different ways, based on the choice of words, body language and facial expression of the speaker amidst a host of other factors. Let me cite an example. I used to work closely with an Australian lady who was an employee of the client I used to work for. One day, she told me that she received an email from an employee in the US and she escalated that mail as a complaint to the company VP. I asked her why and she said the email contents were typed in capital letters. So? For her, capital letters meant the US employee was ordering her.

I was astounded. I would have probably focused on the matter in the email rather than on the letters themselves. We call this cultural differences and conditioning, but this is ultimately the information with which our mutable genes get encoded and gets passed on to the next generations.

All of this converges to a single point. Our karma. We have to be very careful with our behaviour and how we manage life and people. I do not know what triggered diabetes the first time in human history, but it has persisted long enough amidst us to become part of our genetic information. Someone may not have diabetes in his/her genetic pool, but if he/she develops diabetes because of an unhealthy lifestyle, that information could get passed on to future generations through the genes.

This applies to our behaviour as well. It is true when they say that if we want men to not abuse women, raise them by showing how to respect women. That’s just one half of the story though. What is unsaid here is the story of the genes. The seven generations concept could be key here.

We have travelled through the Dark Ages, Renaissance, the greatest inventions and two World Wars of the 20th century and the internet to reach where we are today. With each new generation, we may be shedding information in our genes from an older generation. An example would be cannibalism. From being a common nature among Homo Erectus, it is almost extinct among us now.

There is another stark example. Why is there so much passion among Europeans for rugby and football? Both are very physical sports which can cause extreme physical harm to players. If we look closely,  the stadiums would seem like ancient Roman Colosseum during the matches.  They must still be carrying some genetic information from Romans, Huns, Goths, Vikings and of course Genghis Khan, whose genetic information has been found all over Europe. The same genetic information has migrated to the US, Australia and other places around the world.

Probably this is why we still like to be in conflicts and fight each other because we still carry traces of genetic information from our violent past. If we can live together in peace for three generations, we can easily become a vastly improved species.