CLAT 2018: The way Ahead

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Think of a career rewarding in terms of the job challenges and monetary benefits, it would definitely be law. This is open to students of all the streams, law is always suitable for someone who has an interest in understanding the legal systems of India in general. Across Diverse fields from Intellectual Property Law to looking for challenging and exciting job opportunities, law is always in demand.

With a lot of law firms entering, the recruitment of candidates graduating has reached an all time high. The Law firms not only take up cases, but also aid in mergers, acquisitions, due diligence and other related work. These firms always hire from top-notch B-schools, to have the best brains on Board during Campus Drives.

Most of the firms pay a handsome salary to young law graduates, this also draws a lot of graduates to the law firms. Fresh Law Graduates are offered salaries ranging from INR 8 Lakh to INR 12 Lakh. Law Graduates who are keen on practicing in law, would always work under a Senior Advocate to gain better understanding on working independently.

Most of the Law Officers pay the lawyers about INR 3-5 lakh, which is modest but with a huge scope of learning. Law Graduates have increasingly started looking for newer fields such as Intellectual Property, Taxation, Competition, Arbitration and Taxation to mention an important few.

Banks and PSUs also additionally look for bright Law Graduates to join their department, to perform a lot of services such as negotiating, drafting and vetting contracts. They offer the following advantages:

• Steady Job
  • Fixed Working Hours
  • Assured Salary Increase
  • Promotions

Starting salaries here would be INR 4.5 to 7 Lakhs.

The emergence of Private Law Colleges and National Law Schools seemed to have stirred a significant demand for lecturers. More than experience, teachers with a good education and classroom management are looked for in these schools to help students learn better.

A lot of interesting opportunities are awaiting law graduates as follows:

• Legal Journalism
  • NGOs
  • International Organizations
  • Legal Research and Government Organizations

There are three categories of university to study for Law:

Government Law Colleges – Entry by Board Examination Marks

Private Law Colleges – CLAT Cutoff

National Law Schools – CLAT/ Other Entrance Tests

CLAT is a single unified examination that is conducted for admission into reputed law schools. About 8,000 candidates had taken this test in the year 2008. The number multiplied to close to 43,000 by 2015.

Any student who has passed 10+2 can apply to this examination. There is no upper age limit and candidates who have given the exam in the previous year can also apply for this examination.