illegal appointments of Assistant/Associate Professors​ ​(Environmental​ ​Science)

Posted by ecm New Delhi
December 13, 2017

We are not spending money on Environment education which is basic requirement for sustainable behaviour change for environment protection and conservation. Even though Hon’ble Supreme Court of India has already given a landmark decision for implementation of compulsory environmental education in all levels of education to ensure responsibility of citizen in environment protection vide order dated 6-12-1999 in w.p. no. 860/1991 which directed that appropriate steps be taken to introduce environmental studies course in all universities and affiliated colleges. The European countries understood the importance of that order of apex court and implemented compulsory environmental education for betterment of their future. Public in India are dying due to pollution which can be related to poor environment education. The UGC in pursuant to this order had designed a six month module syllabus for environmental studies for undergraduate courses for all branches of higher education to be compulsorily implemented. This was communicated to all universities on 24-07-2003 for strict compliance. As per UGC guidelines post graduate in Environmental Science with NET /Ph.D in Environmental Science is eligibility for Assistant Professor for compulsory environment subject. But non eligible teachers like teachers specialised in Sanskrit, Hindi, English, Electronics, Political Science, Mathematics, Physical Education, Computer Science, Commerce etc. have been assigned the task to teach the compulsory environment subject additionally in a most cosmetic way which is against the letter and spirit of direction of Hon’ble Supreme Court and UGC guidelines in ensuring quality education. Illegal​ ​appointments: Information collected through RTI’s from Delhi University, JNU, BHU, Viswa-Bharti, Indira Gandhi Tribal University, Central University Rajasthan, Central University Gujarat, Central University Bihar, Jharkhand, Assam (Silchar), Jiwaji University Gwalior, Vikram University Ujjain, Bhimrao Ambedkar University (Uttar Pradesh), and many such Universities across the country appointed teachers who does not have basic degree in environment (M.Sc. Environmental Science/Studies). As per RTI information, there are more than 4,000 candidates qualified NET in Environmental Science, more than 5,000 M.Phil and Ph.D candidates and about 1000 SET and about 1,00,000 post graduates (M.Sc. Environment) but most of them are unemployed/jobless. More than 200 Universities/institutes and about 500 colleges are providing degrees in Environment (B.Sc./ MSc./M.Phil/Ph.D). Delhi University being a Central University located in capital of India is also not different from other Universities. Environmental Science/Studies subject started in 2014 at UG level. There are more than 70 colleges who are teaching Environmental Science to UG students. But unfortunately most of the teachers doesn’t have any background knowledge in Environmental Science. Teachers from Philosophy, physics, chemistry, botany, zoology, political science etc are teaching environment subject. This resulted into unrest and disappointment of candidates who are M.Sc. NET/Ph.D in Environmental Science/Studies.