Maintaining a Work-Life Balance as a Young Freelancer

Posted by APORTER910
December 11, 2017

Having a healthy work-life balance can become quite tricky and muddled at times, so it’s important to familiarise yourself with the right way to handle things from the offset. Freelancing gives you the freedom to be flexible, to pick your companies and to pick your working hours (to an extent). Freelancing is also a great way to gain experience in different businesses and to broaden your skill set. Many students choose to become freelance writers after they have graduated from university, as this means that they can still live a flexible, non-commitment lifestyle that is an integral part of the university experience. It can often be the case that your workload becomes too much at times, and you will find that employers will also try and take advantage of your position and your “free time”, so it’s important to know how to maintain a work-life balance and how to say no. Here are some tips on how to be a happy freelancer…

Learn to say no:

Saying no to your superior or client can seem like a scary thing to do, and you may find that they are not happy when they are told no. You will get to the point where one extra hour of work, turns into unpaid at-home assignments and will have to complete. Think about what you would rather be doing, make time for the things that you enjoy and try to keep your work life and home life separate.

Be organised:

Having such a flexible schedule is one of the biggest perks that you can have as a freelancer, but it’s important to get yourself into a daily routine, otherwise you will find that you are staying up working through the night. Being organised will help you to have more of a normal life and will make everything a little bit better during your time as a freelancer. It’s also important to make sure that you are organised with your paychecks, and renew insurance such as your professional indemnity insurance.

Make time for yourself:

Being a freelancer is surprisingly stressful and it means that you will have to sacrifice your time with your friends and family. This is a time where you need to evaluate what’s truly important in your life. It’s important to let people in as this will help to reduce your stress levels. Think about what you want to achieve and tell your goals to your friends and family, this will initiate the first stages of support which will help them to have something that is.