This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Janhavi Ukhalkar Telpande. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

11 Films That Got Trapped In Controversy In The Last 50 Years, Just Like Padmavati

More from Janhavi Ukhalkar Telpande

Going by the recent reports, it might look like the “Padmavati” controversy has become bigger than the actual film itself.Every second person is commenting and expressing their own opinion. But all this hype and hoopla doesn’t seem to be working in favour of the film as there is no sign of it getting released anytime soon.

This is not the first time that our country had to ban movies just because of its controversial content. India, known for its multi-lingual, multi-ethnic and secular culture, seems to be getting intolerant concerning its modern arts. More than restricting the freedom of expression, it’s the failure of the government machinery and security forces which are unable to control the disturbance in the law and order situation. If you can’t control it – ban it – seems like the norm of the day. And the genuine audience is suffering.

Since 1973, when the movie “Garam Hava” was banned, till in 2012 when “India’s Daughter” a documentary on the 2012 gang rape was banned, the tradition is still going on, with Padmavati being the latest addition to the list. Apart from banning, there have been films which created controversies across the country for reasons, not at all related to the content of the films.

Films like “Gadar–Ek Prem Katha”, “Fanaa”, “My name is Khan”, faced opposition from some of the radical forces in the society. Ultimately, it just caused a lot of financial loses for the producers and creative loses for the audience. But, even after experiences this madness, nothing has changed, and nothing will unless audience and concerned citizens of the country do not actively express their opinions.

Below is the list of 11 movies which were banned in India. These movies were supposedly full of controversial content. But if one watches the movie, one can understand the futility of the ban.

1. Garam Hava (1973)

The film, directed by M. S. Sathyu, with Balraj Sahni as the lead, was banned because it depicted a Muslim family during the partition of India. The movie later went on to become one of the biggest hits of the 1970s, and was India’s official entry in the Best Foreign Film category for the Academy Awards.

2. Aandhi (1975)

The decision to ban the film, however, came after it had had a run of around 20 weeks! It was caused at least partly by actions of the Opposition leaders in Gujarat who showed scenes of Aarti Devi, the lead actress smoking and occasionally drinking during assembly election campaigns. The film was rumoured to be based on the life of Indira Gandhi, but the makers denied this fact.

3. Bandit Queen (1994)

The filmed was banned when Phoolan Devi, the subject of the film questioned its authenticity. An article reported that people were dazed after watching the movie, but Phoolan Devi said that the film was anything but true.

4. Kama Sutra: A Tale Of Love (1996)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0JTj9sl_Y&has_verified=1

You probably guessed why this film was banned. Many protested against the explicit sexual content featured in the movie that did not settle well with the Indian mindset.

5. Fire (1996)

The film was banned for a while because the story revolved around a lesbian relationship. Protests and hooliganism took place in many parts of the country.

6. Paanch (2001)

This was Anurag Kashyap’s first film. It was banned for glorifying sex, drugs and violence. The Central Board of Film Certification, struck the film down citing that it had”psychologically damaging material’.

7. Black Friday (2005)

The movie faced a stay order from The Bombay High Court because the 1993 Bombay blasts case was still in court and the movie remained slated-to-release until the trial got over.

8. Amu (2005)

The movie was banned because it was based on the controversial subject of 1984 anti-Sikh riots.

9. Water (2005)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTPv8Hl169w

This film was viewed as a potential threat to the harmony of the country and hence, was banned, in spite of following the censor board’s suggestion of cutting some scenes. It also faced opposition from hardline Hindu organizations in Varanasi

10. The girl with the dragon tattoo (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBPru-Pu5Q

The director refused to release the film in India after the board asked him to delete graphic scenes in the film before the Indian release.

11. India’s daughter (2012)

This television documentary about the 2012 Delhi gang rape was prevented from being broadcast due to perceived negative public sentiment.

More from Janhavi Ukhalkar Telpande

By nipun tickoo

By Priya Prakash

By sakshi upadhyay