Run The Right Race: Be An Outlier!

Posted by Rachita Sharma
December 15, 2017

We are all running in a race that we may don’t even want to participate in. The maximum competition is in the middle or so-called being an average. There are just 1% of people at the top.

As I read somewhere – The whole competition is in the middle and the bottom. Everyone in this rat race is confined to their limits and is stuck in a rat race.

So let’s just imagine a race. How many winners are there? One. Right. How many people are not winning? Basically, everyone except the one. Correct!

That’s how it goes with life. We are all running in a race that we may not even want to participate in. The maximum competition is in the middle or being a so-called average. There are just 1% of people at the top. That is where the least competition is because they realized their calling, they ran in the right race. They are the outliers!

Let’s not run meaninglessly and lose our identity to masses. My favourite teacher from history best said:

You ask me to say what is particularly important to avoid. My answer is this: a mass crowd~ Seneca [4 BC- 65 AD].

As whatever you are, don’t be the mass. To achieve great things in life, you have to make more significant sacrifices, choices, decisions and of course failures. Run in a race you want to win, not because others are running so you also have to. Read good books, surround yourselves with people you wish to be like.

We are an average of the five people we surround ourselves with. But at the same time, it is also important to understand that those five people shouldn’t necessarily be the smartest with high IQs. Instead, they should complement each others skill-set. For instance, if one of them is pretty good with numbers, another one should be good with emotions. You want to be the average of them, meaning an average of all the qualities you need to be successful in life – humility, intelligence, emotional intelligence, relentlessness, patience, kindness, people skills, technical skills, carefree, diligence etc. It is always a two-way road- “In teaching we learn, and in learning, we teach”.

Life is too short to repeat mistakes and not practice lessons learned. Seize every opportunity. Right time, right action makes a lot of difference. Time is precious. Put a good amount of time in anything and results will never disappoint you. But remember, once you have decided to do something, put your all in. There is no turning back. The Great Wall of China wasn’t built in a day, but once it was – everyone forever talks about the legacy. You are building a Great Wall of China for yourself, and that is never going to happen in a day. So breathe, think and get started – to go on like a river. And when you are tired, stop and look around, but don’t be distracted. Think about why you started it in the first place. The easiest way to lose is to give up.

Remember, you have got your race to win!