This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Gulraj Bedi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Tiger Zinda Hai Is Over-Dependent On Salman Khan And His Charismatic Star Power

More from Gulraj Bedi

First and foremost, kindly allow me to apologize for coming out with an extremely delayed review. The unbelievably long queues outside the multiplexes are to be blamed for this delay. Buying a couple of tickets for “Tiger Zinda Hai” (TZH) was a real task. Anyway, here I am with a delayed, but elaborate review of “Tiger Zinda Hai”.

Overview

Salman Khan, Bollywood’s and controversy’s favourite child is back – bigger and better. The much-awaited “Tiger Zinda Hai” has finally hit the screens and it’s as stupendous as ever. Salman Khan is back with a bang after the failure of “Tubelight”.

The film is inspired by a real-life incident where a group of 46 nurses were kidnapped by the ISIS. The film deals with how Salman, along with a bunch of Indian as well as Pakistani agents, rescues the kidnapped nurses from the jaws of a dreadful militant named Abu Usman. The Indian authorities are given seven days to rescue the kidnapped nurses by the American authorities. The head of the Indian Intelligence, Shenoy (Girish Karnad) believes Tiger is the ideal man to execute this rescue operation. Tiger, after some amount of persuasion, agrees to spearhead the operation. The rest of the film deals with how Tiger and his men rescue the trapped nurses.

Story

The story deals with the concept of organised global terrorism. The leader of one of the world’s richest terrorist organizations, Abu Usman (Sajjad Delafrooz) kidnaps a group of 40 nurses from India and Pakistan. Abu and his men hijack the entire hospital and end up killing one of the 40 nurses when she tries to escape. The story is an over the top take on the very sensitive issue of terrorism, which isn’t as simple and straight-forward as it has been portrayed in the film. This tiger clearly needed a better, tighter, and a multi-layered story touching upon various aspects related to the ‘business’ of global terrorism. The fabric of this story gets a bit tangled at times. It tries to hold the viewer but fails in its attempt to keep you engaged.

Rating: 2.5/5

Music

Vishal and Shekhar have composed the music of the film. The musical score of the film lacks the variety and energy you’d expect from a film starring Salman Khan. Bajrangi Bhaijaan’s music was a class apart, but sadly here, the music doesn’t give you anything apart from ordinary tunes. It borrows heavily from “Ek Tha Tiger” as the film’s signature tune keeps playing tirelessly in the background. The songs too, fail to create a major impact. However, “Dil Diyaan Gallaan”, sung by Atif Aslam, is the only silver lining in an otherwise bland and flavourless album.

Rating: 2.5/5

Performances

The film relies heavily on Salman Khan. He has the meatiest role in the film with other actors playing a mere second fiddle throughout the course of the film. Even Sajjad Delafrooz, who plays Usman – the film’s bad guy, hasn’t been given enough screen space. The likes of Kumud Mishra and Angad Bedi also fail to create a major impact owing to a lack of screen space. Katrina Kaif is the only bright spot in the film, and ends up packing a few solid punches during the end of the film where she fights the bad guys. To top it all, Salman Khan is the sole karta-dharta of this film. I just wish other actors had more to do.

Rating: 2.5/5

Cinematography

The film’s cinematography is one of the very few brights spots in an otherwise bland film. Marcin Laskaweic’s cinematography deserves all the applause. The sequences showcasing bombings in Syria appear genuine and convincing. The film’s opening scene succeeds in creating a lot of tension and suspense. The action sequences shot in Austria where Salman fights the wolves is undoubtedly eye-pleasing but fails to give you goosebumps. The sequence where Salman picks up a 150 kg machine gun and begins bashing the bad guys is one of my personal favourites.

Rating: 4/5

Direction

It is the second instance where Ali Abbas Zafar has teamed-up with Salman Khan. The first time both these heavyweights collaborated, we got to see “Sultan”. While “Sultan” was a highly satisfying film, “Tiger Zinda Hai” fails to create an everlasting impact on the viewer because the wafer-thin plot tires you out eventually. You are left wishing for a few solid twists and turns, but sadly nothing comes up.

Another problem with the film, is the fact that Abbas Ali Zafar has tried to touch upon a lot of things simultaneously, but fails in his attempt to hold onto one. The sequence showcasing a 10-year-old boy trying to carry out a suicide bombing is a prime example of the same. The director tried to make a multi-layered film, but ended up mixing a lot of things together. This tiger is toothless.

Rating: 2/5

The Verdict

“Tiger Zinda Hai” is tailor-made for an ardent Salman Khan fan. It is a film where Salman Khan seems to be in a hurry to bring the bad guys down. The action sequences create a solid impact with Salman playing a typical Indian action hero, bringing down a hundred terrorists simultaneously. The film is an action-packed entertainer with a lot of dishoom-dishoom to offer.

Rating: 2.5/5

More from Gulraj Bedi

By nipun tickoo

By Priya Prakash

By sakshi upadhyay