Youth Ki Awaaz is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Some features may not work as desired.

CAN INDIA CHANGE THE WORLD ORDER

Posted by Mayank Pathak
January 18, 2018

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Can India change the world order? Lord Curzon, the viceroy of India who partitioned Bengal, understood how geography and manpower makes a global power and in his essay “The Place of India in The Empire”, had written ‘It is obvious, indeed, that the master of India, must, under modern conditions, be the greatest power in the Asiatic Continent, and therefore, it may be added in the world.
India must not be confined within South Asia, especially with China making deep inroads  in the Strategic Indian Ocean region, a better understanding of geostrategic implications and global power structure must be curved to tackle Pakistan.

The Pakistani generals and military dictators have systematically promulgated anti-India propaganda for decades. Even the civilian politicians resort to anti-India statements to garner quick support and political mileage. Thus expecting a friendly Pakistan that is ruled by a civilian government, which is not under the shadow of the Army and ISI may be quite an unrealistic possibility in the short term.

The army of Pakistan is suffering from a mania of India after they lost the Bangladesh war which ultimately resulted in proving Jinnah’s two nation theory wrong. After this loss, Pakistani military’s only aim was to break India anyhow. After

this loss, Pakistani military’s only aim was to break India anyhow. After the defeat they started funding Khalistani militancy movement and all secessionist movements all over the India. History of Pakistan tells us that Pakistan has always use terrorism as its “state policy” to create unrest in neighbouring India and Afghanistan. Terrorism as a state policy is not possible without people support.

Second thing is that it is unrealistic to even imagine that Pakistan will act against Lashkar-e-Taiba and other terrorist groups because they don’t act against state of Pakistan but against India and Nawaz Sharif has got active support from these groups in his election campaign particularly in Punjab.

The fact remains as Hassan Nissar famously said, “The foundation of Pakistan is on the basis of fraud, blunders, plunders and violence”. So don’t expect them to change. It is India which need to act. Talks with whom India will do, with Nawaz Government, which is incompetent and nothing is there in its hand. The so-called elected government of Pakistan is worthless to hold any discussions with India.

On matters related to India only the military establishment of GHQ Rawalpindi is the authority to deal with and the Generals of Pakistan are still not out of the shock of the humiliation their army had to face in 1971. These Generals who are in Command were appointed after 1971, during General Zia’s reign 1974-1988 when radical islamization was done by the state while declaring India an enemy. These Generals are the real decision makers regarding Pakistan’s foreign policy towards India.

We should take a leaf out of Ronald Reagan’s book by raising the stakes and the level of competition. Unrest is in no one’s interest as illiteracy, unemployment rates are very high in both the countries. Both the countries need to tackle these issues rather than be in the mode of confrontation, which would lead to nowhere except destruction.

Understanding geographical implications and their significance for the India’s Pakistan policy in the 21st century will go a long way in chalking out successful strategies to not only strengthen India’s geopolitical position in South Asia but also contribute towards stability in the region.

Pragmatism suggests that we must work for peace with Pakistan so that we can serve our own people’s needs and be a stakeholder in global power politics. Giving Pakistan MFN (Most Favoured Nation’s) status was a superb step by India in 1995, but, we can only hope for the best. With both the countries having nuclear arms peace is the only way ahead.