AAP MLA Disqualification Row: What’s Next For Kejriwal?

Posted by shakeel ahmad in Politics
January 22, 2018

With the President’s approval of the Election Commission’s (EC’s) recommendation to disqualify 20 MLAs of Delhi’s ruling Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) for holding offices of profit, the difficulties for the Kejriwal government are sure to heighten. Now, these legislative members stand disqualified. However, this is a mere technicality – the AAP will be fully within its rights to move the Supreme Court to challenge the EC’s order.

Arvind Kejriwal has indeed fallen into his own trap. What Indira Gandhi erred in was followed by Rajiv Gandhi, and later, by Sonia Gandhi. Now, the latest victim is the AAP, which has got entangled in technicalities. This has made its situation miserable. Its gravest mistake was trying to surpass the defined law.

The ‘mini-election‘ in Delhi can no longer be averted. This is no longer a puzzling matter. After all, the members’ posts come directly under the legislation of rules defined within the Indian Constitution.

It is because of this reason the BJP and the Congress are vehemently criticising the AAP for trying to reach beyond the ambit of law. However, in my opinion, these political parties follow similar standards in the states they rule. On this point, neither the BJP nor the Congress come out clean. They even evade queries in this regard. They have only one demand – this ‘unpopular’ Delhi chief minister should resign.

Now, they are realising that the AAP is going to lose its government in Delhi. Both these parties are thrilled, slapping AAP on the front, and conveniently glossing over the fact that they are Arvind Kejriwal’s enemies. Along with the expulsion of the AAP’s leaders, they are also celebrating this surprising opportunity that’s come before them.

But, how can this be possible if the party’s tally of members is not falling short of a majority? Legal experts accept that the procedure of disqualification will take a long time to be completed. With its 42 legislators (excluding the 20 who are faced with disqualification), the AAP will not lose its majority in the Delhi Assembly.

The election will definitely be a test of what the people of Delhi think about the performance of the AAP government, which has been ruling since February 2015.

If the party’s popularity is intact as the AAP leaders maintain, then what is the problem in going into election mode? As of now, AAP does not seem hesitant to fight the elections, despite the Congress and the BJP directly condemning Congress and the BJP. They are eyeing at the elections.