7 Reasons Unrelated To Aging Why Your Vision Is Changing

Posted by Manipal Hospital
February 5, 2018

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The eye is both an exceptionally powerful and extremely sensitive organ. Contrary to popular belief, not all eye problems are attributed to watching too much television or aging. There can be various other reasons why you may experience blurred vision, strange visual patterns and unfortunately at times, visual loss. Let’s look at some of them:

Refractive Errors:

This is of course, the most common and the first thing your Ophthalmologist or Optometrist will check you for if you exhibit visual problems. The three types of Refractive Errors that may not be the cause of aging are:

Myopia

Hyperopia and

Astigmatism

Refractive Errors are generally corrected easily and quickly using corrective lenses or special surgeries, depending on certain factors that your doctor will explain to you in elaborate detail.

Pregnancy:

Pregnancy is a time when your body goes through major changes, both mentally and physically. Pregnancy is known to cause vision changes and vision problems that may be either minor and temporary or may need special attention. It is recommended by doctors to not go for any kind of vision corrections during Pregnancy since the results may not be accurate. Vision Changes during pregnancy may be largely attributed to rapidly fluctuating problems and you should see your doctor as soon as you begin to experience discomforts in your vision during Pregnancy.

Contact Lenses:

Contact Lenses are infamous for being very useful and for causing vision problems as well. They are usually prescribed for use within a specific period and extending their usage can harm your eyes, causing vision changes and vision problems. Make sure that you religiously follow all the instructions provided to you by your Eye Doctor on the use and maintenance of Contact Lenses. This involves cleaning, storage, replacement at the right time and strictly using within the prescribed period.

Injury or infection:

There are times when harmful dust, debris or bacteria may enter the eyes that we may not be aware of, leading to inflammation, injury of critical parts or infection of the eyes. Whether you are experiencing minor or major discomfort, never skip consulting a reputed Ophthalmologist. Often, the problem may be obvious or not immediately clear.  Minor vision changes like blurring may also be caused due to fatigue, strain or excess exposure to sunlight that may go away with time. But that doesn’t mean you should cancel your appointment with the Doctor.

Medication:

Eyes may be affected by regular intake of certain drugs and medicines that treat other diseases. Following is a list of drugs that are known to cause Vision Changes or Vision Problems:

Diuretics

Antihistamines

Antidepressants

Cholesterol-lowering drugs

Beta-blockers

Birth Control Pills

Tamsulosin (Flomax)

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)

AntibioticPregnancy is a time when your body goes through major changes, both mentally and physically. Pregnancy is known to cause vision changes and vision problems that may be either minor and temporary or may need special attention. It is recommended by doctors to not go for any kind of vision corrections during Pregnancy since the results may not be accurate. Vision Changes and Vision Problems during pregnancy ms

Acne Medicines

Medications that treat Depression, Parkinson’s, seizures, ulcers, asthma, arrhythmia, and hemorrhoids.

Work with your Eye doctor to arrive at the root of the problem and surely he will be able to arrive at a solution.

Eye Diseases:

A person may suffer from Eye diseases at any point in their lives depending on several factors. Vision changes are not strictly restricted to aging or childhood and any vision problems must be reported right at the onset of symptoms. Following are some of the common Eye diseases:

Floaters

Dry Eyes

Excess Tearing

Cataracts

Glaucoma

Retinal Disorders

Conjunctivitis (Pinkeye)

Other Diseases:

Diseases affecting major bodily organs such as the heart and the brain may also be the cause for vision changes and vision problems. Strokes and Brain Hemorrhages affect the normal functioning of the eye which is why you must work closely with your doctor to rule out different possibilities and arrive at a specific conclusion.

While it is highly recommended for people above 40 or 65 years of age to have regular eye check-ups, even younger people must consider visiting an Ophthalmologist or Optometrist at least once a year. Be vigilant and watch out for symptoms, but most importantly, never neglect what your body might repeatedly indicate. It will save you suffering and expenses, and ensure good health in the long run.