This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aman Sinha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A Story of Mysterious brotherhood: Nehru and Patel

More from Aman Sinha

In the era of lie. There are lots of fake news, propaganda spreaded by the fake websites, social media trolls, political leaders, cabinet ministers and even by the mainstream media anchors.
Twitter, facebook and whatsapp (famous as whatsapp university) is the major platform for spreading propagandas.
One of the most interesting topics of propaganda is Nehru-Patel relationship.

Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel and Pandit Nehru

So I tell you about the relationship between Pandit Jwaharlal Nehru and Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.
It is true there is a ideological differences between Pandit Nehru and Sardar Patel. Despite of dispute between their ideology, Nehru is admirer of Patel and Patel also said about Nehru, “Nobody has sacrificed as Nehru.”

After the division of India and Pakistan, Pandit Nehru became the Prime Minister and Sardar Patel was the Deputy Prime Minister, Home Minister and Commander in chief of Army.

Sardar Patel assembled more the 500 princely States to India through his diplomacy. But at the time of Junagarh, Hyderabad and Kashmir a political dispute rises between India and Pakistan. So Sardar Patel decided to give Kashmir to Pakistan and keep Junagarh and Hyderabad. But problem arised for Nehru because Nehru was a Kashmiri Pandit. So, he never wanted to give Kashmir to Pakistan.

After the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi Sardar Patel had decided to ban the RSS (Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh).

Pandit Nehru was in depression after the death of Bapu then he wrote a letter to Sardar Patel and decided to forget the differences.

“New Delhi

February 3, 1948

My dear Vallabhbhai,

When Bapu was alive we had hoped to meet him together and discussvarious matters that had troubled us somewhat. You will remember our correspondence. Inmy last letter I had expressed the hope that, in spite of certain differences of opinion and temperament, we should continue to pull together as we had done for so long. This was, I was glad to fmd, Bapu’sfinal opinion also.
Now, with Bapu’s death, everything is changed and we have to face a different and more difficult world. The old controversies have ceased to have much significance and it seems to me that the urgent need of the bout is for all of us to function as closely and cooperatively as possible.Indeed, there is no other way.
I have been greatly distressed by the persistence of whispers and rumours about you and me, magnifying out of all proportion any differences we may have. This has spread to foreign ambassadors and foreign correspondents; mischief-makers take advantage of this and add to it. Even the Services are affected and this is bad. We must put an end to this mischief.
It is over a quarter of a century since we have been closely associated with one another and we have faced many storms and perils together. I can say with full honesty that during this period my affection and regard for you have grown, and I do not think anything can happen to lessen this.Even our differences have brought out the far greater points of agreement between the respect and us we bear to each other. We have even learnt to agree to differ and yet carry on together.
Anyway, in the crisis that we have to (face) now after Bapu’s death I think it is my duty and, if I may venture to say, yours also for us to face it together as friends and colleagues. Not merely superficially, but in full loyalty to one another and with confidence in each other. I can assure you that you will have that from me.If I have any doubt or difficulty I shall put it frankly to you, and I hope you will do the same to me.
I had hoped to have a long talk with you, but we are so terribly pressed for time that we can hardly see each other in private for long. Some time or other, soon I hope, we shall have this talk and remove any misunderstandings or misapprehensions that may have arisen. Such talks are necessary from time to time. But meanwhile I do not want to wait for this talk and hence this letter, which carries with it my affection and friendship for you.
Yours affectionately,

Jawaharlal”

Sardar Patel replied wrote to Pandit Nehru.

“New Delhi

February 5, 1948

My dear Jawaharlal,

I am deeply touched, indeed overwhelmed, by the affection and warmth of your letter of 3 February.I fully and heartily reciprocate the sentiments you have so feelingly expressed.
We both have been lifelong comrades in a common cause. The paramount interests of our country and our mutual love and regard, transcending such differences of outlook and temperament as existed, have held ustogether.Both of ushave stuck passionately to our respective points of view or methods of work; still we have always sustained a unity of heart which has stood many a stress and strain and which has enabled us to function jointly both in the Congressand in the Government.
Recent events had made me very unhappy and I had written to Bapu when I was going to Bombaor appealing to him to relieve me, but his death changes everything and the crisis that has overtaken us must overtaken us a fresh realisation of how much we have achieved together and the need for further joint efforts in our grief-stricken country’s interests.
I had the good fortune to have a last talk with him for over an hour just before his death and he communicated to me what had passed between you and him aswell as histalk with
H.E. [Mountbatten]. He had also fixed an appointment to meet both of us the next day. His opinion also binds us both and I can assure you that 1am fully resolved to approach my responsibilities and obligations in this spirit.
I agree with you that we must fmd more time for mutual consultations so that we can keep each other informed of, and in touch with, what is happening and we can thus resolve any points of difference that might arise.
We should also fmd an early opportunity to have a long talk and clear our minds of any doubts and difficulties that may be there. Continued harping on our differences in public or in private is bad for us, bad for the Services and bad for the country. The sooner we set this at rest once for all and clear the murky atmosphere the better.
Yours,

Vallabhbhai Patel”

It seems like they are the brother from another mother.

On 02 October 1950 Sardar Patel said about the Nehru to people, “We all know that Mahatma Gandhi is no more. Bapu had decided to appoint the leader as Nehru after him. Now as we are the Bapu’s army and our duty to follow the instructions given by him and I am also a loyal warrior of Bapu.”

In 1959 a popular story about Nehru-Patel brotherhood. The people of Bikaner met Pandit Nehru and told him to inaugurate a medical college on the name of Motilal Nehru in Bikaner. But Pandit Nehru denied and replied them if they decide to college was named to Sardar Patel then he would happy to inaugurate.

On 1961 Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru underlay the Sardar Sarovar Dam inaugurated by current Prime Minister Narendra Modi which is the largest dam of India.

There are lots of institutions on the name of Sardar Patel were opened in the Nehru’s regime.
In Madhya Pradesh Vallabh Bhavan, name of Gujarat Vidhan Sabha Bhavan is Sardar Patel Vidhan Sabha Bhavan. IPS training academy also named on Sardar Patel. A university on the name of Sardar Patel in Gujarat, Stadium, Airport, Park, Museum were named on Sardar Patel in Gujarat.
After death of Sardar Patel, Pandit Nehru visited Patel’s funeral.

They spent their friendship more than 30 years…

More from Aman Sinha

By Imran Ghazi

By Anish Bachchan