Recounting Memories, Barkha Dutt Shares Powerful Message For Child Sexual Abuse Survivors

Barkha Dutt, journalist and author, in this short film recounts memories of abuse she faced as a child. She speaks out now, sending the message to parents and elders to talk to their children about the difficult issues and reaches out to all survivors of violence everywhere telling them that it is never their fault. Barkha’s message brings out the need to bring an end to gender-based violence; especially violence against women and girls.

This short film is part of the Bas Ab Bahut Ho Gaya (Enough Is Enough) campaign to end violence against women and girls by the Population Foundation of India (PFI), in partnership with director Feroz Abbas Khan and in association with Farhan Akhtar’s Men Against Rape and Discrimination (MARD).  Break the Silence is the fifth short film in the series. Earlier films include a film with Vidya Balan and her father on supporting a daughter’s dream to achieve; a film with Sania Mirza and her father who supported her tennis career; a film based on the brutal gang-rape of Jyoti Singh (‘Nirbhaya’) on December 16, 2012 gave a hard knock to the collective conscience of India and a film based on Varnika Kundu, resident of Chandigarh and a DJ by profession was chased by two men, who followed her car as she was on her way home from work.

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.