Gang-rape from Punjab’s girl in moving train between Muri and Ranchi.

Posted by Pratyush
February 20, 2018

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Ranchi: A 19-year-old girl from Punjab was gangraped by two men in a running train between Muri and Ranchi in Jharkhand, barley half an hour before the train reached Ranchi station on the night of February 6.

The girl was deeply traumatised by the incident and did not tell about it to anyone at a convent where she has been living. Two days later after the incident she consumed poison to commit suicide and was hospitalized.

Police said on Saturday after recording her statatment at hospital. The girl was traveling alone in Delhi-Ranchi Swarna Jayanti Express on February 6 night when the incident happened.

“She said she was travelling in S-6 coach of the train and the two men raped her between Muri and Ranchi. Both the men pulled the chain and get down two stations before the train reache Ranchi at about 12 midnight.”

Her friends at Ranchi learned about the incident only after she tried to commit suicide and lodged FIR  at police station in Ranchi on February 15.

She is now recovering at Gurunank Hospital. The case came to light late because Gurunanak Hospital authorities called in the police only when the girl regained consciousness.

What is the government doing to create safer spaces for almost half its population?