Those who want to bring a change do not need #PadmanChallenge

Posted by Bijasmita
February 8, 2018

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The thing is, nothing happens and changes in this country. May I take a moment in letting my fellow friends know that a number of people have worked and have been doing their best to bring a change and to assure menstrual hygiene for every single woman in this country. But the irony here is that, in India, the movement of “menstrual hygiene” is being dominated by “period shaming”.

May I name my feminist friend, Nikita Azad, who started the nationwide campaign #HappyToBleed against “period shaming” where she was treasured by a huge number of girls across the country and a number of boys too. The campaign reached to a fair number of people, but definitely not more than today’s ‘stardom effect’! Holding a pad and displaying it on social media never brings a change of any crisis. Go out, raise your voice and run your pens. Just like a large number of feminist activists have been working to their depth far before the display of Padman on the Bollywood curtains. But there was no any systematic support and sometimes the voices are being dominated too and may be called by the society as ‘ladki logo ki tamasha”.
Must I cite here the campaign launched by a group of students from Gwalior by writing messages on sanitary napkins to Prime Minister Narendra Modi urging him to eliminate 12% Goods and Services Tax (GST) on the product and make it free of cost. So where is its effectual sequel? Anything changed? But today we are all set to take a part.
Arunachalam Muruganantham’s work is something appreciating and this is much applauding that at least His continuous work and efforts got a recognition.
But I must say that those who are spending their hours and efforts to bring a change in menstrual hygiene and health do not need any #PadmanChallenge to amplitude their good deeds.

I, myself, when wrote this letter to the antipathetic society against period shaming in India, I ended up with only virtual appreciation and critics across the country whereas my letter got recognised by a journalist of the German newspaper “Süddeutsche Zeitung”. But due to my hectic daily schedule and shortage of time, I had to take them down without giving an interview. Sorry. Thanks to them they even asked of whereas in my nation my letter went of no use.

Today the paradox here is, the stigma and stereotypes ranging from whispering to shaming, the period blood is fatal and even the can swallow an entire life.

Charity begins at home. If we really mean a change let us unwrap our pad packs from black papers and newspapers! And most importantly those who need a true awarness or we need to aware stay most out of the social medias.

Anyways I hope at least this movement of bringing a change will not end up only earning a huge box office!

#StopShowingOff
#DoWorkOn

Featured Image : Internet