Youth Ki Awaaz is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Some features may not work as desired.

NIT Agartala Student Brutally Beaten Up By Seniors, College Denies It Was Ragging

Posted by PRASENJIT DEBBARMA in Campus Watch
March 14, 2018

It was around 1 AM. Some of the students in their fourth year banged on the doors of 1st-year-students and ordered them to assemble for a meeting on the ground floor of the Aryabhatta Boys Hostel in the National Institute of Technology, Agartala.

Dui Doji, a 17-year-old boy from Arunachal Pradesh, pursuing Civil Engineering was among those students who were called for the meeting by their seniors. He was confused and puzzled – and like the others, he was wondering about the reason behind this immediate summons by the seniors at midnight. However, he decided to attend the meeting with his friends where he was brutally beaten up by the seniors there.

Picture Credit: The Dawnlit Post

“We were called to gather for a meeting. We were also asked by the seniors to bow down our heads. The seniors asked us a few irrelevant questions. Suddenly, one of our seniors started slapping Dui Doji and other seniors too joined him. There was a point of time when Doji begged the seniors for his life, but they showed no mercy,” an eyewitness said.

Union Minister Kiren Rijiju recently tweeted about this, terming it ‘The violent incident of Ragging’.

Kiren Rijiju’s tweet condemning the ragging incident at NIT.

The NIT Agartala authority accepted the fact that Dui Doji was brutally beaten up but have refused to consider the incident as an ‘act of ragging’.

According to the FIR lodged by Doji’s family on March 11, Ritu Raj Tewari  has been named as the main accused. The FIR says that Dui Doji was beaten up on March 10, around 1 AM.

A copy of the FIR

Ritik Kumar, who is a 1st-year-student at NIT Agartala narrated his experience of that horrific night – “It was 1 AM at night. We were all sleeping. Then something happened which I can never forget for my entire life.” He also said, “The incident left a scar on the face of humanity. They were not human, they beat him up repeatedly with chappals and belts.”

The incident is extremely inhuman and requires utmost attention. Similar cases of ragging in campuses have been widely witnessed.

In this context, it would perhaps be worthwhile to note that the HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar has introduced an anti-ragging mobile application which enables students to register their complaints on the platform to combat ragging nationwide.