This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by MelanieSaunders. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How to efficiently get rid of garden waste: 7 tips

Garden waste can build up quickly, especially if you are undertaking a new landscaping project. From clearing out old trees and bushes, to putting in new flowerbeds, there are lots of activities which can create waste very quickly. Here’s how to get rid of it as efficiently as possible.

1. Create compost

Not all garden waste is suitable for compost, but when it is, this is a good way to reuse and recycle in your garden. Get the compost going in a large bin or tub, and later on you will be able to use it as fertiliser on other parts of your garden. You won’t be getting rid of it right away, but it will certainly be very efficient.

2. Reuse items

If you’re looking at waste that you have taken out of one part of your garden, consider whether you can use it somewhere else. For example, imagine you have taken apart a set of terracotta edging slabs to change the theme of your landscaping. You can put them somewhere else instead, or even bury them under the ground to great a solid foundation for another feature.

3. Get it taken away

It’s pretty easy to hire a company that will take your garden waste away for you, and very convenient, too. When the team at 1300 Rubbish show up, take it all away, and dispose of it properly and in a way that is suited to the environment, you can consider it job done. All you have to do is give them a call, which is more than a fair exchange.

4. Sell it off

If there are usable items in your garden waste, such as decorations or wooden boards from fencing or even whole living plants and trees you have decided to remove, you can always sell them off. There are plenty of local people who might want them, so put them online or hold a sale outside your home so that people can pick them up.

5. Give it to charity

If you don’t like the idea of waiting around for usable items to sell, you can always get rid of them in one go by donating them to charity. Be sure to call ahead first and ensure that the charity will be happy to take the items – they might not want everything.

6. Let your gardener do it

If you’re lucky enough to have a landscape gardener working in your garden, then why not let them deal with the mess? They will know the best places to take the waste, how to dispose of it efficiently, and where it can be reused if possible. Of course, if you don’t have a gardener yet, you could always talk to one about exchanging some services for the materials if you think they’re worth something.

7. Throw it away

This is possibly the least efficient of our suggestions, but at least it deals with the problem with the minimum of thought. Put the waste into the correct bins and wait for your local council to take it away. It will probably take a few weeks to get rid of it all, but the upside is not having to work out what else you might do with it.

There are some clear winners for suggestions for getting rid of garden waste, so use these tips well. It’s always a good idea to reuse what can be reused, and have the rest disposed of in an efficient and eco-friendly way. This gives the best results for both you and the planet.

More from MelanieSaunders

By Imran Ghazi

By Imran Ghazi

By Anish Bachchan