Reality Check: Women Were Raped, Murdered And Set On Fire Even On Women’s Day

Define Women’s Day for me, will you? They say it is to let the women know we celebrate them. One day, out of 365 days, is what you can afford to spare to celebrate the many women around you? What about the other days? Seems confining. Seems almost stupid to me, to glorify all of them only on March 8. No, I am not talking about the intention behind it, I bet it is for good.

Yes, this Women’s Day was beautiful, with wives of martyrs stepping into uniforms, women police officers pledging their support for ‘press for support’ movement, college girls voicing out their disapproval of the ‘Saree or Salwar Kameez’ rule at a university in Rajasthan, and many other women being subjected to violence, being taken for counselling.

New norms, new laws, all in favour of women, thank you for that. But all of that is pointless if the woman does not go on to live at all, don’t you think?

So, a college going girl, in her 1st year, was stabbed to death by a 25-year-old man she was in a relationship with, earlier. On the road, right in front of her college, on a Friday afternoon (March 9).

They had ended the relationship; the boy kept following her. The girl said ‘No’. A clear NO. Yes, I know, love is a crazy thing. You no more know what you’re doing, you feel helpless and all you want is for the person to be yours. But who on Earth gave him the right to take a life? How could he stab a girl to death under the sun? What were the people around, doing? I see no love here. Ever got pricked by a safety pin? You yelp. Think of a knife then!

Oh wait, I am not done. On women’s day, a 9-year-old, playing games at the game zone at a mall in Indore, was allegedly raped by a 19-year-old, while the world was celebrating womanhood! The mother was waiting outside, the girl ran out to her and told her what happened, an action was taken. This is also a women’s safety issue, no? But the opposition party of the state went on to make this a political issue by taking a dig at the ruling government. Seriously? Is this part of your propaganda? Is that all? Sickening. I agree with you that the mother could have been with her, instead of leaving her alone. Makes sense. But where does it say ‘ See a girl standing alone? Rape her!’? Tell me. Who gives them the right! Think of all the trauma and nightmares waiting to suck the life out of that little girl, scarred for life!

A woman, 45, was set ablaze while she was sleeping, because of pending loans. She had in fact repaid and was constantly nagged for interests. Okay, maybe, the money is very important to them. But you just pour kerosene over a woman and set her on fire? Like, are you out of your mind? She survived, with major burns. What’s the point? Will she ever be able to sleep in peace?

Remember Swathi, a techie, murdered at railway station because again, she said no? Just how big is your pride? Just how fragile is it, that you can’t take no for an answer? Trust me, you, who thinks you are superior to women, have a very wrong idea of manliness. Blame their parents? For not teaching them a no means a no? Blame the women, because apparently, they provoke them?

Harassed in buses. Harassed on roads. Harassed in houses. Harassed in offices. Harassed here. There. Everywhere. We are not weaklings. Don’t you assign that tag to us, we’ve been fighting and we will continue. But there’s only so much anybody can take, no? Fighting to move forward, fighting to reach heights, is what we want to do. Not fight for merely surviving, not knowing which loser will come and stab from where!

This is how our body is. Yes. We are different from you. Our body is different from yours. That’s how we were created. Don’t push us into thinking our body is what causes the inherent problem of men being unable to control themselves. Don’t push us into becoming conscious of our bodies. Into blaming ourselves for being who we are.

Keep all the laws, and special policies and all of your propaganda to yourselves, if you can’t promise us our lives!

No, we haven’t forgotten the many lives lost and the many more living in distress ’cause of barbaric acts by certain men in the society. This is not about pointing fingers at the opposite gender. Who’s better than who? No. This is about stopping the wrongdoers from ruining lives of women and children.

If you are a survivor, parent or guardian who wants to seek help for child sexual abuse, or know someone who might, you can dial 1098 for CHILDLINE (a 24-hour national helpline) or email them at dial1098@childlineindia.org.in. You can also call NGO Arpan on their helpline 091-98190-86444, for counselling support.