While Indians Were Watching IPL, Punam Yadav Won India Another Gold In Weightlifting

Posted by Anushka Priya in Sports
April 9, 2018

During the season of IPL, when the Indian crowd was celebrating Chennai Super Kings’ first victory against Mumbai Indians, on the other side, an Indian weightlifter was busy winning gold medals for India.

Punam Yadav managed to conquer the gold medal in weightlifting in the 69 kg category in the Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast on Sunday. Punam Yadav delivered India its fifth gold medal in the competition. It was a moment of pride and celebration for each and every citizen of the country. Sunday, April 8, was an inspiring day for all the young aspiring athletes in the country.

Earlier, Mirabai Channu (48kg), Sanjita Chanu (53kg), Sathish Sivalingam (77kg) and Venkat Rahul Ragala (85kg) had won the gold medal for India in weightlifting.

As The Hindu reported, “Yadav, a bronze-medallist from the 2014 Glasgow edition, lifted 222kg (110kg+122kg) to claim gold ahead of England’s Sarah Davies, who finshed with 217kg (95kg+122kg).”

Yadav conquered all odds in claiming the gold.

Punam Yadav will be a role model to athletes around the world. I hope that Indian athletes are able to shine more in the coming days and keep the tradition of tradition of winning gold alive. And it’s my plea to fellow citizens of the country to support such talents and give them the respect and popularity they deserve. They have made India proud at the global level.