I’m Getting Married, But Does That Mean I Can’t Dream Anymore?

I am a girl in her mid-twenties. I honestly think that being well educated has its own pros and cons.

During interviews when I was asked “Where do you want to see yourself after ten years?” the very first question that comes to my mind is “Should I answer the obvious thing which our society has decided for us or I do have a right to wish for something I have always dreamt for?”

I end up saying “Taking care of my children, my husband-cum-kid and his not so independent family.” This can be a brutally honest answer because this is the system we have established, and this is so strong that even if you want to demolish it, either your family will suffer or you – yourself.

Lady, if you will choose your dreams over your loved ones, trust me, you will never be able to cherish that success.

No! No! Don’t take me wrong, I am not against taking care of your family, but I am just raising a question about why marriage comes with a lot of responsibilities for women only?

I have seen many young spirits who were provided with a great education, only for the holy purpose of marriage. However, when it comes to marriage, the common thing required was “I just need someone who will take care of my family and me, that’s it.”

That is it? Seriously? That’s when I realised that we all have grown up with a great sanskar called compromise and sacrifice! If she doesn’t do that, she won’t be considered a good daughter, wife or mother and so many other things.

For girls, each and every relationship brings along lots of responsibilities, especially after marriage. Here I really want to ask all the boys roaming around and looking for educated, independent brides, will be able to take care of yourself, your kids and your family while your wife would be busy chasing her dreams? Will you be able to be an equal participant in marriage system?

P.s. This is based on my own experience. There can be other opinions and exceptions.