This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aamir Mahmood. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

From Reaching Mars To Creating The IPL, 6 Achievements India Should Be Proud Of

More from Aamir Mahmood

It has been decades since India won its independence. We have now reached the year 2018 and although many taboos and social problems still exist, India has come a long way in shedding its image as a ‘country of snake charmers’. This list will depict some of India’s achievements since independence. I bet you will learn something new about our country – something worth cherishing. So, without further adieu, let’s look at some of India’s achievements.

1. Electing A Transgender Woman As A Mayor

In January 2015, 35-year-old Madhu Bai Kinnar was elected mayor of Raigarh in the state of Chhattisgarh. This was the first time in India that a trans woman in India had held the position of mayor. Indians have come a long way in terms of accepting transgender people. Many of us now believe trans people are a part of our society and deserve to have equal rights like others.

2. Reaching Mars

Our very own Mars Orbiter Mission termed Mangalyaan managed to reach Mars on its very first attempt and cost us ten times less than NASA’s MAVEN. While MAVEN had cost $671 million, Mangalayaan cost only $67 million.

3. Yemen Rescue Mission

Operation Rahat’ was a mission to rescue more than 4,000 Indians from war-torn Yemen. Not only did we rescue Indians but we also managed to evacuate hundreds of others (belonging to 26 different nations) from Yemen. We stunned the world with the success of our mission and the world recognised us for it.

4. World Student’s Day

Do you know about the World Student’s Day? It is celebrated on the birthday of APJ Abdul Kalam. Born in 1931 in India, he went on to become one of the most respected persons in the world, to such an extent that the UN declared his birthday, October 15, as World Student’s Day. He was a great scientist and an author who penned more than 15 inspiring books and several pieces of poetry. He loved students and the world loved him. When he died on July 27, 2015, the whole world mourned his loss.

5. The Indian Premier League

For cricket lovers, the most anticipated part of the year is the Indian Premier League (IPL) season. The IPL was started in 2008 and it gave the country its biggest entertainment package. We see heroes from all cricketing nations come together to play for their respective franchises. Cricket is still the biggest religion in India.

6. Shah Rukh Khan

If you love movies then you must know who Shah Rukh Khan is. He is a charmer who has charmed the entire world. He is the biggest star in the country and is a face that represents India in many countries. He’s rightly been called ‘King Khan’. Shah Rukh Khan also has a list of achievements worldwide which include being invited by Yale and Harvard Universities for giving speeches. The University of Edinburgh gave him an honorary doctorate. He has statues of himself in Madame Tussaud’s and Musée Grévin. He was also given the Legion of Honour, France’s highest civilian award. He’s been named as one of the top 50 most powerful people in the world. Shah Rukh Khan is a brand – an icon that represents India globally.

More from Aamir Mahmood

By Abhishek Chaudhary