milk and honey – by Rupi kaur

Posted by Romila
April 13, 2018

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Rupi Kaur’s milk and honey has been a New York Times Bestseller for long time, it is one of her preliminary works, and the book is a collection of poetry and prose. A 24-year-old Canadian writer of Indian ancestry has housed her times of kick in this piece of art. Her style of writing is based on the Gurmukhi script in which just one case and only periods are used. Hence, she writes in lowercase and makes use of only periods as a way of celebrating her culture. Her books have been translated in 30 other languages; which explain the mounting love for her poetry.

This collection of poems with illustrations is done by the author herself.  She takes encouragement from her life understandings to write about family, violence, love, heartbreak, abuse, and femininity.  The book is divided into four parts—the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing.

Rupi tackles various issues through her poetry, from growing up seeing broken families to love and heartbreak, or gender and race, before finishing with a healing full of wisdom and lessons learned. People munch through poetry through lyrics on a daily basis without ever realising, and that’s what she manages to do with the straightforwardness and unruly candour of her words. She courageously challenges taboos, and this audacious form of expression inspires her readers. Her candid, genuine voice speaks to the young people who relate to her representation of twinge and effort at unlike points of life.

While reading the collection from its beginning to end, I walked through myself in the words like my own journey, or found myself in a poem or prose while letting the book fall open on a new page, and venture into that one poem, discovering that one expression to its full depth. Whether you’re a standard poetry reader, or someone who dives into verses not so often, you can satiate your desire all the way through these poems.