Travelling Made Me The Confident, Independent And Spontaneous Person I Am Today

Travelling the world is something that most of us have dreamt of. The reason why people love to travel varies and sometimes, it’s very personal. The reason why I travel is to challenge myself with new places, their culture, people and experiences. From my travel experience, I’ve learnt that travelling has the capability to change your life in the most unexpected way. It did change mine. 

As a kid, I was shy and lacked confidence. I was that kid in class who stuck to a corner and had a fixed routine and reply for everything. But, after I started travelling, those yesteryears habits gradually vanished. I evolved into a completely new person.

Be it hitchhiking my way to the western ghats or driving across the country, travelling has made me the confident, independent and spontaneous person that I am today. Of course, a direct consequence of travelling around was my ability to socialise.

And speaking of socialising, some of the most important people in my life are those whom I happened to bump into unknowingly, maybe at an airport, a beach or even on the road. Travellers look out for each other, we’re like a tribe, and when people are cut off from the digital world, they tend to be more honest with each other. 

Travelling changes the way you relate to the world, the way you relate to others. You get to learn about other cultures, perspectives and learn to take charge of your own destiny. 

It makes history come alive and teaches you how to be happy. It tells you that the world is bigger than your ego or wealth. And more than anything else, travelling helps me cleanse my body, mind and soul. 

I understand travelling requires finances but there are a few tricks that I have learnt over the years.

1) Make a separate fund and save a particular sum of money every month till you reach the goal.

2) Try looking for cheap flight deals. You can always travel to a city near your destination if it reduces the travel cost significantly and then maybe hit the road to your final destination.

3) Try booking yourself a dorm or a hostel. I know it’s a huge sacrifice but you won’t spend much time in the hotel anyway hence you won’t be missing out on much. It also gives you a chance to mingle with other backpackers and know their itinerary.

4) Try speaking to locals for new and interesting places to visit. You never know, the locals might know places that even Google doesn’t.

5) Final tip, travel light.

In my opinion, everyone should travel. No mater how old you are, it’s never too late to travel. So, just pack your things and hit the road for a life-changing adventure!