This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Namit #Mind is Great. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

As India’s Youth, We Have To Be More Concerned About Politics And Current Affairs

More from Namit #Mind is Great

Editor's note: Youth Ki Awaaz has turned 12, and this post is a part of #WhyIWrite, a campaign to celebrate Youth Ki Awaaz users who have spoken up about issues that matter to them. If you'd like to share what motivates you to write, publish your story here!

It is said that knowledge is the greatest gift for any human – and chasing it is, in itself, a great value. Today, the youth is empowered and energetic. This does not mean that the youth in the previous years was not, but certainly, with new challenges in this globalised world, there exists a sense of dilemma for many.

The youth today is confused and nervous on many fronts, and the reasons are very complex, and therefore, there is more of a need for them to start acting on it sooner. According to the 2011 census, 41% of India’s population is under the age of 20. This indicates the huge potential for growth the country has. But, there are challenges of utilising this demographic dividend in an optimum manner.

Skill development is key to fulfilling India’s dream of becoming a ‘superpower’. India also needs a strategy which facilitates not only education and health but also ensures that the youth adheres to constitutional values and ideas, adopting legitimate ways to live in this democracy. This will come only when Fundamental Rights are enforced and the law is upheld from time to time.

Some people may wonder about how these ideas are linked with writing about politics and current affairs, but it is necessary to understand that if a young mind can think and write, it needs context. In my opinion, it is important to listen and understand the voice of the youth, to take a perspective of what they want from the system. Writing about politics is as important as having a meal.

It is the politics that influences a person, be it rich or poor – and knowing about it and expressing your views is necessary. Writing is one such way of expression, and it does create an impact that has the potential to spread awakening ideas in the society. If young minds write on day-to-day issues, that means they are faithful to the placed norms of democracy and that they do understand the legitimate ways to be heard.

It is crucial to understand the expectations of youth – and for this, more and more participation is significant for our political and administrative structures. The need for a decentralised and approachable governance system is always appreciated, and for this, young people should not hesitate to join public services or politics.

Youth participation in politics is crucial because of a large number of complex issues revolving around today’s youth. Therefore, their legitimate participation at all levels could be a game-changer for the holistic growth of the society.

However, it is also important to think and act on why many great young minds are distracted and going towards drug addiction, criminal activities etc. As a system, we have failed to track and check our youth from going down the wrong path.

This needs to be understood so that we can stop our future leaders, doctors, teachers, engineers, etc. to deviate from the path of truth and peace.

There is a need to debate on youth issues beyond making poll promises of jobs and schemes. Until and unless youth participation is increased in every field of life, it will not be easy to attain the complete growth target. The aspiration of becoming a global leader is also directly linked with youth development – and the huge demographic dividend, regarding which India is at an advantageous position, will only help when youth power is utilised in a holistic manner.

More from Namit #Mind is Great

By Nitya Singh

By Vivek Pandey

By Disha Sharma