Did We Choose The Right Prime Minister In 2014?

Nowadays, the definition of chaiwala has changed. The very first thing that is now stuck in our minds after listening to this word is Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

No doubt he has achieved a lot in his career as a politician – from being the CM of Gujarat to becoming the Indian PM. But when it comes to the people who helped him come to power, I don’t find them to be particularly happy. Neither is their well-being taken care of, these days.

In 2014, the Bharatiya Janata Party won the elections by making a lot of promises and commitments to the people of India. Narendra Modi was chosen as the new PM.

It’s been approximately four years now. Let’s have a look at the kind of work he’s done.

Modi had promised that ₹15 lakhs would be deposited in every citizen’s account. Instead, what we actually got was numerous instructions from the government, which made it compulsory to link our Aadhaar details with a bank account, with no concern for our right to privacy. 

Coming to the issue of black money, once again we got no real results! Instead, we faced a crisis of money in the name of demonetisation – the most historic decision of the present government indeed!

Let’s go back to 2016 – what was the most profitable and interesting news item for the common people? Reliance Jio’s plans, right? In other words, Ambani’s plan to launch schemes giving free calls and internet to people in 4G service.

Why they suddenly provide free sims, knowing well that they could run into significant financial losses – and that too, just a few months before and after demonetisation, and the so-called mission to do away with black money? Don’t you think it’s just too much of a coincidence?

Nowadays, it is often said that the rich are getting richer, while the poor are getting poorer. Of course, there is the middle class in between, but they are the ones who neither make much of a profit or run into significant losses.

It’s as though we’ve had no ‘achhe din’ over the past four years. The country is burning in a cauldron of communal hatred. Anyone who speaks against this government is considered to be an ‘anti-national’ (perhaps me as well).  Rapists are let off the hook (and are even roaming freely), and murderers are running rampant over our lives.

What else should we expect now? The next EVM scam? Let’s ask ourselves if we have chosen the right people to preserve the democratic ethos of India.