Affection? No Thanks. I’d Rather Not Be Beaten Up

In a world full of terror and hatred, since when did it become a crime to show affection to the person you love? It was astonishingly horrible when a couple in a metro was pushed out and beaten up by people. It matters not whether they were homosexual, or whether they were young or old, or where this freak incident happened. What matters is why it even happened in the first place.

If someone urinates in public, it’s not a problem. If men stare at women or touch them randomly on the streets, it’s not a problem. In those times, the public does absolutely nothing. But when something is done with consent and does not harm anyone at all, then why does it become a physically violent issue suddenly? Is this how we react to love and affection?

All that this has done is prove that we don’t have anything worthwhile in our own lives that we have to go around poking in other peoples lives. It is outrageous. We need to wake up and understand that in a nation as diverse as ours and with a reputation of welcoming differences of action and opinion, poking our noses (or resorting to violence) into what is clearly other people’s business is not in our hands.

After all, don’t parents hug their children in public? Don’t people love animals in public? Then what is wrong with this ‘kind’ of affection?! About time we started broadening our minds, folks.