I want to address this letter to you irrespective of your ideologies. History repeats itself. Actually, in India’s case, history keeps recurring over and over again. The reason being our refusal to learn anything from it other than developing a sense of hatred for each others’ communities. As a result, we never stop slitting each other’s throats either literally, on social media or in hatred-fuelled political speeches.
This religious hatred is a cow that you have been milking for ages. And unfortunately, over the years, this cow has grown too obese to be of any healthy use. The least we can do is try to stop its junk fodder.
Kindly answer this simple question.
Why is it your business to talk about religion during your political rallies?
Leave our religions to us. Leave our food habits to us. Don’t try to thrust your one-dimensional perceptions of our religions on us.
In my opinion, India’s judicial system must take one basic but important step before it’s too late. Talking about religion in any political rally must be branded as a criminal act. Any person with a political agenda delivering speeches to the masses and feeding them hatred about any religion must be branded a criminal and an enemy of the state. Because politics must have nothing to do with our ways of life. If we don’t do this at the earliest, we may only keep degrading as a nation.
As Karl Marx once said, “Religion is the opium of the people.” So, dear politician, please cease from selling this addictive substance off your stocked shelves. Kindly stock commodities that India can actually use in your shops.
If your political party wants our votes, show us your development plans. We are not interested in what you think about our Vedas or our Quran or our Bible or any of our religious texts. We are not interested in listening to what you think of invasions that occurred aeons ago. We are not even interested in what you think about other political parties. So stop feeding Indian masses enormous portions of your poisonous minds.
Indians are more interested in:
1. Seeing your strategic plans to back your promises of development.
2. Commitment to go-live dates of every project on paper and how you are going to achieve those.
3. Your plans for abolishing patriarchy which has evolved into a criminal mindset against women.
4. Your plans for stopping marital rapes of both genders.
5. Your plans for stopping instances of child molestation, rapes, abuse.
6. Your plans for bringing balance to our eco-system to deal with real problems like global warming that are closing in on us.
7. Your plans to bring new job opportunities to our ever-growing workforce.
8. Your plans for establishing strong labour laws that promote work-life and personal-life balance without affecting the business inflow.
9. Your plans for creating a safe and fertile environment for artistic creativity to bloom.
10. Your plans to curb farmer suicides.
The list may go on and on. But I have confidence in your intelligence which leads me to believe that you may have got my point by now. So, next time, kindly come well prepared with your presentations on how to achieve our country’s goals whenever you come to us asking for votes.
In short, we are interested in your realistic proposals for everything that actually matters to India. Based on these, we will decide which political party to vote for.
Please focus on building and fortifying India as a nation united in its diversity, rather than destroying the very essence of our motherland by dividing us with your vote-bank politics.
Thank you in advance,
An Indian citizen