This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shagun Kathuria. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘Menstruation Is Not A Problem – It Is A Part Of Our Life’

More from Shagun Kathuria

WASH logoEditor’s Note: This post is a part of #NoMoreLimits, a campaign by WASH United and Youth Ki Awaaz to break the silence on menstrual hygiene. If you'd like to become a menstrual hygiene champion, share your story on any one of these 5 themes here.

So easily have we transformed into a modernised world that it often seems we have entered a completely different era altogether. We therefore tend to adopt a way of living that gives us comfort.

But sadly, the transforming world has not changed our ideologies. We got our freedom, but are we really free? No – because our minds are still caged! It is still hard-wired in the superstitions that the society follows. At times, the word ‘society’ itself feels terrifying. “What will society say?”“What will society believe?”: these are some of the common and favorite questions asked by society, which often feel like threats to every individual.

There’s no doubt that all of us have faced these awkward situations in our life. As go through them, the more we learn about the severity of the problems. One such issue is menstruation.

Talking about menstruation reminds me of an excellent film I watched recently. From being almost nothing to changing the society’s ideology, “Padman” was a film that targetted each of these ‘societies’ and brought out its core problems into the limelight. An excellent movie to watch!

But why is menstruation still not an excellent topic to discuss? Our eyes are open, but our minds are shut. When an individual tries to speak up, the society mutes their speech. And then, those words become taboo. A topic that should be important is completely neglected just because it is considered shameful to talk about it in the same society that cages our freedom.

On the other hand, don’t you think it’s a shame to have stepped into the 21st century and yet behave like a pet tamed by the society? Trying to change these subtle ideologies in people is a challenge worth accepting. After all, pursuing people to change is like bringing them out of their boxes.

Menstruation is not a problem – it is a part of our life. It’s also the right of every girl. No matter how many taboos some people may cite, the problems related to it cannot remain taboo for eternity. Either, there is a solution to it somewhere – or you have to find a way to end it yourself.

The biggest problem that exists in our society is the superstitions followed by the insane practices. And when someone opposes such practices, the society blames the lack of education. What is really  lacking? Is it their illiteracy or the insanity? Sometimes, people cross their limits and follow evil practices.

Therefore, it’s the need of the hour to change ourselves and not act insanely. We usually talk about the small villages, where superstitions related to menstruation abound. But, we shouldn’t forget that this problem also exists in the urban localities. Practices like not going into the kitchen, not worshiping any idols, and other such ‘rituals’ are so very disturbing. It’s as though the most wonderful power of women is being suppressed and treated like a crime.

People go and worship the Kamakhya Devi’s temple, who is described as the ‘bleeding goddess’. But at the same time, there are many such ‘devotees’ who treat the women in their houses like dirt. Menstruation is the symbol of a woman’s creativity and power to give birth. It is something that should be acknowledged freely, without any shame.

The issues should be discussed and not neglected. There are so many disturbing realities related to menstruation across the country that should be relevant to every person who comes across it. These need to be addressed urgently. A girl does often feel like an open tap of blood that has immense power and strength. Menstruation is not a shame; instead, it is a time to strengthen your intuition and heighten your wisdom.

It’s often rightly said, “Stop sacrificing a girl’s self-esteem at the altar of menstrual myths.” Break the taboos and educate yourself!

_

Featured image used for representative purposes only.

Let's ensure that no girl is limited by something as natural and normal as her period by making menstrual hygiene education compulsory in schools.

Tweet To HRD Minister Sign the petition

More from Shagun Kathuria

By Paribha Vashist

By Naureen Shafiq

By Nazariya LGBT

• “Every 15 Minutes, A Crime Is Committed Against A Dalit Person” Will We Find A ‘Cure’ For Caste-Based Violence? Start writing
  • The Darker Side Of The System: What Do You Think Of Police Brutality In India? Start writing
  • What Is One Movie Or Tv Show That You Can’t Stop Thinking About? Start writing
  • How Do We Begin Dismantling Locker Rooms That Carry On The Old Tradition Of Gendered Abuse? Start writing
  • What Lessons Have You Learnt During This Lockdown. Start writing

• Mobilising young people between the age of 18-35 to become ‘Eco-Period Champions’ by making the switch to a sustainable menstrual alternative and becoming advocates for the project
  • All existing and upcoming public institutions (pink toilets, washrooms, schools, colleges, government offices, government buildings) across East Delhi to have affordable provisions for sustainable menstrual product options