Empty Villages: A Real Cause Of Concern

India is a country with almost 6 lakh villages. According to Census 2011, 69% of our population lives in rural areas. Primarily, village economics runs on agriculture and agri-related work.

Today, villages are vanishing. I am from the Marathwada region of Maharashtra, which has suffered most during the drought of 2014–17. In this period, most of the villages have been left without people. If there are any people, they are elderly and children. Most of the working-age people have left villages to find a better livelihood. This is the situation in most parts of India.

Why is this happening?

• Agriculture is losing its attractions. Most villagers do not see agriculture as an option for livelihood because of many factors like climate change, government policy, prices.
  • There is no availability of basic needs. If they are present, they are not in good condition. Education, healthcare services, drinking water, electricity are in abysmal condition.
  • Traditional job of villagers are losing importance due to globalisation and many other factors.

What are the implications?

• Unplanned growth of cities.
  • Puts extra pressure on urban resources.
  • Rise in slums.
  • Poor livelihood conditions in these areas.
  • The problem of waste management.
  • Traffic
  • Poorly directed government policies.

What should be done?

• The government should with utmost priority address the question.
  • They should take efforts providing basic, quality services like education, healthcare and skill.
  • Try to convert these villages into self-sustainable village economy.