This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by ED Times. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

In A First, CBSE To Conduct Separate Board Exams For 6 Students. Here’s Why

More from ED Times

By Riddhi Tyagi:

“Padhoge likhoge to banoge nawaab, kheloge kudoge to hoge kharaab (If you study, you will become a nawaab, if you play, you will turn out bad).”

Just another saying we’ve heard all our lives. Because obviously, will your parents, your school, the society and the world let you miss your board exams for a sports event? Okay, not just a sports event but an international sports event, which is pretty huge, isn’t it?

Well, it looks like, if no one else, the CBSE would.

This is how a CBSE official broke the news about six students getting the leverage to sit for exams later as they represented India at international events while the board examinations were going on: “The special drive of CBSE to promote talents in sports led to a departure from set practice of following the fixed exam schedule this year. There were six students who were to represent India at various sports events while other class 10 and 12 students were busy writing CBSE board exams.”

We confirmed the same from the Sports Authority of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and gave special permission to two class 12 students and four class 10 students for appearing in board exams on later dates,” the official added.

Who Are These Six Meritorious Students?

Two students from class 12 and four from class 10 have been allowed to sit separately for their board exams.

Amolika Singh from class 12 represented India at the junior Dutch Open International tournament and Yonex German open tournament in badminton while Mayur School student Manav Thakkar from Ajmer, also from class 12, represented India at the Asia Cup Yokohama, Japan and Road to Buenos Aires Youth Olympic Qualifications, Tunisia in table tennis tournaments.

The four class 10 students all brought laurels to the country.

Anish Bhanwala of St Theresa’s Convent Karnal, bagged the gold medal in the Rapid Fire Pistol event in men’s 25-metre category at the Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast, Australia.

Anish Bhanwala

K Venkatadri of St John’s High School, Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh bagged three silver medals at the South Asian Archery Championship at Dhaka.

archery gold kreedon
Harsh Parashar, K. Venkatadri and Mayank Rawat during Medal ceremony of the Archery Boys Compound event at the Khelo India School Games.

Ryan International School, Patiala’s student Sehajpreet, member of the women’s recurve team won the gold medal after winning an international tournament at Dhaka.

Rekha of Rajkiya Sarvodya Kanya Vidyalaya, Dallupura, Delhi won the wheelchair basketball championship at the Para Asian Games held at Bangkok and is training for the world championships now.

A Great Move

Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar has appreciated the move and recommended that the new sports policy be implemented for students of all classes.

The board had recently formulated new sports guidelines for schools mandating them to have a daily sports period for class 9 to 12 to prevent the sedentary lifestyle kids these days are leading, thanks to technology.

Not only is sports important for fitness, it’s a great recreational activity and to keep that spirit up, it’s imperative that students be supported in the arena of games and sports because not everyone wants to make a career in academics or pursue a deskbound course.

In that light, this move by the CBSE is highly appreciated because it will surely motivate students and facilitate them in managing studies and sports.

A version of this post was first published here.

More from ED Times

By Vipashyana Dubey

By Imran Hasib

By Meemansa Narula