This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anshul Joshi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

After Continuous Media Toxicity, I Finally Saw The Real Kashmir In This 5-Minute Ad

More from Anshul Joshi

Considering the holy month of Ramzan, the central government in a bold move announced a unilateral ceasefire in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The Union government has asked security forces not to launch search operations in Jammu and Kashmir during the auspicious month, but said that the forces could retaliate if attacked, “or if it becomes essential to protect the lives of innocent people”. Union Home Minister Office in a Twitter post, said: “It is important to isolate the forces that bring a bad name to Islam by resorting to mindless violence and terror.” It added that the “government expects everyone to cooperate in this initiative and help the Muslim brothers and sisters to observe Ramzan peacefully.”

This is indeed a welcome move, which must be applauded as it connects those who are isolated to the mainstream. Last night, when I was just scrolling down videos on YouTube, one video came to my sight and just left me speechless, and was indeed one of the most heartwarming videos ever seen in my life. It was a J&K tourism ad released long back, but I thought it would be absolutely perfect to share and write about it today, in the auspicious month of Ramzan and at a time when Kashmir is really going through a rough patch. This video should be shared with the maximum people so that they can witness a different side of Kashmir other than the poisoned and negative one portrayed usually in mainstream media.

The video is about a young married couple in Srinagar for a vacation, wanting to explore Kashmir. The twist in the story comes when they realise who their driver for the day really is. As they huddle around a fire, soaking in Kashmir’s majestic and ethereal beauty, the tagline appears – Jammu and Kashmir: The Warmest Place On Earth.

The spectacular landscapes of sprawling grasslands against the backdrop of snow-clad peaks, Kashmir leaves you astounded. Its alpine meadows, valleys, lakes and rivers are all enchanting jewels in its crown. The marvellous weather and ambience in this tourism ad puts you under some kind of magic spell and keeps you riveted throughout the video, which I have shared below.

After seeing the video, you realise that everyone today has created a perception that turbulence, violence and the rage of the street can make the tourists vanish as swiftly as they arrive in Kashmir. This video is a sincere reminder to all, just a few aberrations cannot take away the warmth and hospitality of Kashmiri people.

After the continuous demonisation of the ordinary Kashmiri by prime time prejudice, media hysteria and social media toxicity, here is finally an alternative and fresh view that humanises and validates the warmth of the Kashmir.

Although I fully agree that a five-minute advertisement can never capture the complete, multi-layered and complex story of Jammu and Kashmir but in a time of so much negativity, violence, aggression and polarization, the initiative alone to make a video like this, is something to be grateful for. Rightly captioned “the warmest place on earth”, it shows you a side of Kashmir that you may not have seen before and is deserved to be shared with all to give an all-around different perspective about Kashmir. Let’s spread this love, trust and warmth on this Ramzan.

More from Anshul Joshi

By Danish Syed

By Amisha Das

By Varsha Pulast | Adivasi Awaaz Creator