Writing Is The Best Way I Express Myself

Editor's note: Youth Ki Awaaz has turned 12, and this post is a part of #WhyIWrite, a campaign to celebrate Youth Ki Awaaz users who have spoken up about issues that matter to them. If you'd like to share what motivates you to write, publish your story here!

I don’t remember when I started writing or started expressing myself through the written word, but the reason behind it was to express myself as frankly as possible because I was unable to do it otherwise. I belong to a middle-class family where you have to focus on your studies rather than doing something unconventional because you need to have a good career and earn and have a family and so on. But in the rat-race of money and career, your dreams are left behind. You forget that you were meant to do what you love and then spend your life regretting what you haven’t achieved for yourself. I have felt all of these emotions as I had started taking my writing seriously since class 8 but was unable to pursue it professionally.

Fond of literature, I read every book I was issued by my school library. Eventually, I took up writing too. After class 10, I shifted to the science stream and almost stopped writing. But in my first year of college, I started writing again, expressing my views on various topics and recounting my life’s experiences. After that, I met someone very special and started listening poems, shayaris etc. and started writing poems as well. She was my inspiration to write.

There are other people too who have inspired my writing, but now the exercise of putting pen to paper, playing with words, has almost become a habit. I love it because it helps me engage with my imagination, and express my truest, most authentic self.