This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nishma Ck Ck. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Just Started Using Menstrual Cups And I Couldn’t Be Happier

WASH logoEditor’s Note: This post is a part of #NoMoreLimits, a campaign by WASH United and Youth Ki Awaaz to break the silence on menstrual hygiene. If you'd like to become a menstrual hygiene champion, share your story on any one of these 5 themes here.

Menstrual cups are way better than sanitary napkins or tampons. It’s true that using a sanitary napkin is better than using a cotton cloth. But times have changed.

Actually, I was surprised when I learned that menstrual cups which were made of rubber were invented and patented around 1930s. After extensive research, Mooncup® came up with a hypoallergenic alternative; medical grade silicone. And, in the Spring of 2002, the world’s first reusable silicone menstrual cup was born. Then several other companies started manufacturing menstrual cups. I was surprised why I hadn’t heard about them until the start of 2018. May be it was due to the lesser advertisements as the customers who brought one menstrual cup won’t need another until a few years down the line.

Anyway, I heard about it on the internet and decided to give it a shot as it is more hygienic, economic and environment-friendly.

It’s hygienic because we can use the cup up to 12 hours a day (may vary with the quantity of flow). While we have to change a sanitary pad every 4 hours or so. If we don’t change the pad, it might infect our intimate parts. Some high absorbent pads and tampons cause toxic shock syndrome (TSS) as well, which can have fatal consequences. So, I was more than excited to try the cup. Moreover, the smell of a worn pad also causes me (and perhaps many other women) a headache, vomiting and nausea. And the rashes during periods due to napkins are nightmarish to me. For two to three days I can’t even walk properly. It was time to switch.

I was more than happy to find out that a menstrual cup is easy to use. Just wake up in the morning and change your cup. Going to bed? Change your cup. The fact is, you can use the same cup both the times. You don’t have to throw it away. Because they are reusable. And that’s another point; you don’t have to worry about where to throw a bloody pad.

But, it’s true that you may face some difficulties while inserting and removing the cup if you are a beginner. The solution is to study your own body and do some practice before the actual periods start. Don’t get nervous, relax and breathe.

Let me show you a calculation taking me as an example. Usually, I need four napkins in a day.
So for six days, I need 24 napkins.
For a year I would require 168 napkins.
I have been using napkins for 12 years.
That makes it 168*12=2016 napkins.

What if I chose to continue? The number goes up. Do you know that when sanitary napkins are dumped, they take around 500-800 years to decompose? If these napkins are burnt, they release toxic gases unless it is done at a temperature of 800 degrees which requires a lot of energy. And let’s forget the plastic packets pharmacies inundate us with.

Okay, let’s assume that you are not bothered about your health and the nature.

But you will be concerned about your wallet. Let’s check how menstrual cup saves your wallet heroically.
Again calculating
For one month, sanitary napkins cost ₹60 on an average.
12 months ₹60*12= ₹720
10 years ₹720*10 = ₹7200

The fact is the cost of sanitary products will shoot up in the next 10 years, and it will only get more expensive for you. Whereas one menstrual cup could cost anything between ₹300-1000. I got mine for ₹350.

Think about yourself. Be a part of the revolution. Change to menstrual cups.

And to the men out there. Gift your mother, sister, girlfriend, wife or friend a menstrual cup along with some chocolates for them to cope up those menstrual cramps and pain.

#happybleeding
#cupwoman
#menstrual_hygiene

Let's ensure that no girl is limited by something as natural and normal as her period by making menstrual hygiene education compulsory in schools.

Tweet To HRD Minister Sign the petition

More from Nishma Ck Ck

By Paribha Vashist

By Naureen Shafiq

By Nazariya LGBT

• “Every 15 Minutes, A Crime Is Committed Against A Dalit Person” Will We Find A ‘Cure’ For Caste-Based Violence? Start writing
  • The Darker Side Of The System: What Do You Think Of Police Brutality In India? Start writing
  • What Is One Movie Or Tv Show That You Can’t Stop Thinking About? Start writing
  • How Do We Begin Dismantling Locker Rooms That Carry On The Old Tradition Of Gendered Abuse? Start writing
  • What Lessons Have You Learnt During This Lockdown. Start writing

• Mobilising young people between the age of 18-35 to become ‘Eco-Period Champions’ by making the switch to a sustainable menstrual alternative and becoming advocates for the project
  • All existing and upcoming public institutions (pink toilets, washrooms, schools, colleges, government offices, government buildings) across East Delhi to have affordable provisions for sustainable menstrual product options