This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Gayatri Muley. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Goddesses Did Bleed

More from Gayatri Muley

WASH logoEditor’s Note: This post is a part of #NoMoreLimits, a campaign by WASH United and Youth Ki Awaaz to break the silence on menstrual hygiene. If you'd like to become a menstrual hygiene champion, share your story on any one of these 5 themes here.

Ever since I was 14, I started bleeding every month. Not a stranger to menstruation, I started accepting the fact that this is what I have been entitled to do since I have been born with a functional uterus. But the mentality of the people around me when they came to know I was menstruating was not at all normal. From staying away from elders to every possible measure that the Indians follow when they know a girl has her periods was followed but there’s a change – Not in my family. I am lucky enough to have a family who is as broad-minded as me and has never ever imposed any restrictions on me during my periods. I have had my brothers bringing me pills to help with the cramps to my aunt giving me the utmost attention if I need anything during that time. But not every girl is lucky enough to have a family who supports her like this.

I have been to my friend’s house when she was on her periods and I was instructed to not touch her as she stayed one foot away from me in a corner, sitting on an uncomfortable piece of rug. She had to stay away from the kitchen, washing area and jars of pickles as if her touch would contaminate them. Giving her separate utensils and clothes were not new for her because every woman in the house, including her mother, is given this kind of treatment when they are on their periods. And I am not even allowed to speak about her period if there’s a male member of her family present.

Living in the 21st century, it seems disgusting that people who are so-called religious, do not accept that menstruation is not a sin but a virtue that God has bestowed upon the girls so that they can give birth.

When I ask some elders why aren’t we allowed to visit the temple when the goddess is a woman and has a womb herself, the reply I get is that you cannot talk of something so intimate about the gods.

My heart melts every time I see a girl suffer because she is on her periods and her family doesn’t accept the way she is but this has to change. Would you want your daughters to be given such kind of treatment when she bleeds? I guess no!!  So instead of staying quiet about it, raise your voice and speak against this taboo that is irrelevant in all ways.

Let's ensure that no girl is limited by something as natural and normal as her period by making menstrual hygiene education compulsory in schools.

Tweet To HRD Minister Sign the petition

More from Gayatri Muley

By Paribha Vashist

By Naureen Shafiq

By Nazariya LGBT

• “Every 15 Minutes, A Crime Is Committed Against A Dalit Person” Will We Find A ‘Cure’ For Caste-Based Violence? Start writing
  • The Darker Side Of The System: What Do You Think Of Police Brutality In India? Start writing
  • What Is One Movie Or Tv Show That You Can’t Stop Thinking About? Start writing
  • How Do We Begin Dismantling Locker Rooms That Carry On The Old Tradition Of Gendered Abuse? Start writing
  • What Lessons Have You Learnt During This Lockdown. Start writing

• Mobilising young people between the age of 18-35 to become ‘Eco-Period Champions’ by making the switch to a sustainable menstrual alternative and becoming advocates for the project
  • All existing and upcoming public institutions (pink toilets, washrooms, schools, colleges, government offices, government buildings) across East Delhi to have affordable provisions for sustainable menstrual product options