An Open Letter To VC Of Kochi Law School On The Massive Failure That Was CLAT 2018

Sir,

With due regret and humble submission, It pains me to even write this letter at a time when Digital India is the new norm. The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) 2018 was conducted by your college, and students across the entire country are both in a state of disarray and shock at what conspired on May 13, 2018.

My computer screen showed no questions for the first 7 minutes after the commencement of the paper, the invigilator asked me to log in again assuring me that time loss will be fixed during the paper itself, which did not get fixed. Moreover, in the course of switching through sections, a question got skipped by a series of 2-3 questions in a single click which caused further loss of time.

Towards the last part of the examination, while the timer showed that 4 minutes and 54 seconds were still remaining, the paper got auto-submitted, which meant that I couldn’t even attempt answering the remaining questions.

My roll no is 10056495 and my seat identification number is 1721. I appeared from the SSR India Solutions centre in Ghitorni, Delhi.  I genuinely hope that you understand the humongous value of 10-30 minutes in a 120-minute exam. Not to forget this is a National Level Exam which at least 60,000 students across the country take to get admission into India’s premier law schools.

Every serious aspirant strategises for each and every second and a loss of even a minute has an effect on the law school they get admission into, let alone 10-30 minutes. This is extremely deplorable at a time when law schools have requested the Supreme Court to award them the status of ‘national importance’. Nothing can be more ironic. It is a gross violation of Article 14 which advocates the fundamental right to equality.

This has been a common trend for CLAT across years and its 2018 version too did not fail to disappoint. The only difference is that unlike previous years, this year’s CLAT had an entirely different problem and nothing less than re-examination can do justice. I hope that being the vice-chancellor of a law school yourself, you would look into this disappointment with a greater sense of rationality and get a re-exam conducted as soon as possible. Nothing else will even be close to according justice to the lives of 60,000 students. Hoping to get a response from you soon.

Sincerely,
Mangesh Mani.
CLAT 2018 aspirant