This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Amit Narar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

7 Things We Must Start Doing To Save Juhu Beach

More from Amit Narar

Juhu Beach, the pride of Mumbai needs protection from visitors who continue littering. It is the citizens who are not ready to keep the beach clean. Pushing authorities to clean the beach, again and again, will not change the situation unless we as citizens realise our responsibility. Basic civic sense is missing.

Local residents sit at home and run social media cleaning campaigns and complain about the authorities for not doing their work. Every day, over 50 workers from the BMC clean the beach early in the morning. By evening, the beach is full of plastic packets, PET Bottles, food leftovers etc. The government is not here to clean shit created by us every day. Can we all not come forward, work together and remind citizens of their basic civic sense?

Ways You Can Keep Juhu Beach Clean

1. Ditch Plastic: Stay away from those evil plastic bags! The best you can do is bring your snacks and such in reusable bags or containers. It is a perfect prevention method and you still get to enjoy those chips and chocolates you love so much.

2. Take Everything Back: Bring your own bags with you, this will ensure you don’t throw everything on the beach. Trash doesn’t just disappear and we all know it, so take everything you brought back with you and it will make the ocean smile.

3. If You Spot Trash, Pick It Up: You’re most likely to find a bottle or two as you stroll on the beach, it’s okay if you safely pick it up and throw it in a trash can. I know it’s impossible for you to go and pick up everything you spot on the beach, but picking up a couple of leftovers will do good to keep the beach clean.

4. Bring Reusable Bottles: Little things matter a lot here. For example, you could bring a reusable water bottle to the beach instead of disposable water bottles. Or you can just sip on margaritas at your closest beach bar, which not only helps the environment but it also makes you very happy!

5. Take Care Of Your Pet’s Poop: If you’ve brought your puppy to the beach, that’s great, nothing beats a puppy trying to swim! However, remember to pick up the little gifts they drop. You wouldn’t want to step on poop as you run to catch a ball, right?

6. Smoking Doesn’t Just Kill You: Cigarette butts are one of the leading pollutants in the world. Smoke all you want, of course, we won’t tell you what to do but if you do smoke, dispose of the cigarette butt properly so it doesn’t go into the water or sand.

7. Encourage Everyone To Participate In Beach Cleaning Initiatives: I’m pretty sure almost everyone has a special place in their heart for the beach, so pass on the word, help keep the beach clean and our marine life safe!

Image source: Ritesh Uttamchandani/Hindustan Times via Getty Images

More from Amit Narar

By Meharmeet Kaur Thandi

By Ramakrishna Reddy

By Utkarsh Mishra