Should Vehicles That Fail To Meet Noise Pollution Norms Be Banned?

We need to stop unwanted noise pollution, including those from vehicles with illegally modified exhaust systems and loud horns.

Noise pollution is an unwanted manmade sound that has the effect of being annoying, distracting, painful, or physically harmful. People exposed to noise pollution suffer from hearing loss, sleep deprivation, chronic fatigue, anxiety, hostility, depression and hypertension.

In my opinion, motorcycles with installed aftermarket exhaust systems that don’t meet the Central Pollution Control Board’s noise emissions norms should be banned. The CPCBC sets noise emissions standards for motorcycle exhaust systems. The standard for street-legal exhaust noise emissions is 80 dB. Riders can legally buy and install aftermarket exhaust systems; however, it is required to meet the norms. Most aftermarket exhaust systems are not street-legal and are intended for off-road or professional track use only. It is illegal to try and modify existing muffler to make vehicle louder.

Apart from exhausts, noise pollution created due to other fancy horns fitted to the vehicles and old vehicles running on the roads need appropriate action. Noise emission norms set by CPCBC for each segment of vehicles is attached herewith.

In my opinion, we should ban the sale of loud pipes and fancy horns and heavily fine those who customise and refuse to obey. Otherwise, we should have strict provisions in the law to eliminate the cause. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, especially if the law enforcement officials don’t know the law. It’s time for our law enforcement officials to be knowledgeable and enforce the law like the Bangalore Traffic Police did recently. The important thing is that law enforcement officers should be fully equipped to detect the level of noise pollution while performing their duty.

Along with noise pollution, faulty exhausts and old vehicles greatly affect the amount of carbon emissions.

It should be considered that the number of citizens who prefer peace and quiet outnumber the vehicle noise enthusiasts and motorcyclists who prefer noise, for whatever reason, and forcing noise upon a majority who find it undesirable is, in fact, a violation of their rights. Your freedom and desire to make noise must not infringe upon the rights of others to be free of undesirable noise. Millions of people are adversely affected and continue to be affected by this manmade noise.

We must evaluate every law pertaining to motorcycle exhausts and determine how to rid the streets of the noisemakers. People want authorities to do something about these infringements upon their rights, so that they can keep their sanity.

Below are the instructions given by the Kerala High court on a similar issue.

“The High Court of Kerala in Francis M.C v State of Kerala and Others W.P(C)No:7045/2016, has directed the State transport department and State police machinery to take stringent action against those persons who ply motor vehicles with customized modifications in violation of motor vehicle act/rules. The customized modifications pertain to the alteration of motorcycle parts like the removal of silencers, mudguard and sari guard etc. The court observed that such removal in a bid to add glamour to the vehicle, possessed danger to the public, of which the users are unmindful.”

The Punjab and Haryana High Court has also recently issued instructions.

To highlight the issue among people and to ask government authorities to take action, I’ve started a petition. If you also feel that the issue must be addressed and want to be a part of the change, you can sign the petition.

Thank you.

The author can be reached at nileshpatil3012@rediffmail.com