This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aamir Mahmood. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Absurd Statements From Politicians That Have Made Me Question My Education

More from Aamir Mahmood

During our coming-of-age years, it really doesn’t matter what we have read and learned in schools and colleges. Neither do the tenets of science and statistics matter.

The ‘truth’, according to many politicians and their followers, is what these politicians say – and surprisingly, they say a lot. In the following list, I will not be naming anyone; neither will I say anything about any religion. I will just quote a few sentences and try to analyse them with scientific and statistical facts. I may be right – or perhaps, I will be wrong in my analysis of all the statements below – but, just for the satisfaction of all the education I ever had, I am doing this.

Let’s start with something very ridiculous… very, very ridiculous:

1. Rape is “sometimes right, sometimes wrong.”

I am really speechless regarding what I can say about this. How on earth can an act of rape be ‘right?’

I believe this is only possible if all the laws are altered, and the morality of the society has touched the supreme level of the one who said this in front of a whole crowd. But for me, a rape is a heinous crime and the rapist must be punished severely.

2. “Boys make mistakes, why hang them? We will revoke the anti-rape laws.”

This ridiculous and stupid statement came in 2014 from a man who supposedly used to ‘ride a bicycle’ (or at least, used its symbol). A crime is a crime, irrespective of the person who commits it. Boys and men are not superior than the others – and rape is never a mistake. It’s a crime, mind that.

Next up, someone divided Hindustan into ‘India’ and ‘Bharat’. Just read what he thinks:

3. “Crimes against women happening in urban India are shameful. It is a dangerous trend. But such crimes won’t happen in Bharat or the rural areas of the country.”

Now let’s just get this straight with facts. According to the stats, 75% of rape cases over the past 25 years (that led to convictions) were from ‘Bharat’ (or rural India, in this case). This has been calculated based on court data.

And please, don’t divide India, ever again! Rape is something that is being used as a pretext by these regressive mouths to speak whatever they want. Maybe someday, I will make a more exhaustive list on this.

For now, I will refer to a statement which will make you realise just how ‘rich’ you are:

4. “₹600 enough to feed a family of five for a month”

Now, let me start doing the calculations… Wait, I am already done – and I have realised I simply can’t do this. Maybe I must visit the person concerned to get the ‘guru-mantra’ on how to do this – after spending ₹600 on a lunch or two, that is.

Speaking of lunch, which, in many cases, is food produced by farmers, I would like to bring up the issue of farmer suicides – for which this person has the following reason:

5. “Impotency, love affairs top reasons behind farmer suicides.”

I don’t agree with you, sir – really I don’t. Some of the main reasons for this are their loan debts and their poverty.

6. “Putin’s original name is Vaarahmihir Putr Singh.”

Someone just give this BJP MP a medal for this! Let’s also some time to our ‘Vaarahmihir’ to visit his ‘home’.

Really, there is something to these MPs and politicians. They are geniuses, just like this man:

7. “Every Hindu woman must produce at least 4 kids.”

No comments.

Neither do I have any comments on this one:

8. “In 2014, after three decades, 600 crore Indian voters for the first time gave complete majority to a political party to form a government at the Centre…”

Your highness may be right – but as far as I know, the country’s population is around 125 crore – and there are 80 crore registered voters. It may be the case that people from neighboring countries also voted.

Now, for a few gems on the issue of employment:

9. “… if someone sells pakodas, fried Indian snack, and earns ₹200 by the end of the day, will you not call it a job?”

So let’s just complete high school, get a graduation and post-graduation and then start selling pakodas. Great idea!

Well, there are also other great ideas like:

10. “Why run after netas for government jobs? Graduates should get cows and milk it to earn ₹10 lakh in 10 years.”

or,

11. “Instead of running after political parties, had the same youth set up a paan shop, he would have had a bank balance of ₹5 lakh by now.”

Now, you got the ideas right!

Enough for today, I guess. I’m leaving you all with this last word of wisdom from a CM:
“Civil engineers, not mechanical engineers, should join the civil services.”

And, for all other things, always remember“Internet and satellite communication had existed in the days of Mahabharata.”

More from Aamir Mahmood

By Prabhanu Kumar Das

By Amiya Bhaskara