6 Ways Visually-Impaired People Can Safely Travel In Mumbai

Posted by Anushka Rajapurkar in Specials, Travel
May 16, 2018

Travelling is one of the most effective ways of measuring your ability to accustom yourself with new people and new situations. Knowing the unknown always leaves us extremely excited.

If you are planning to go for an accessible holiday in India, then you must spend few days in Mumbai. Mumbai is often called the “City of Dreams” where people come to make their dreams come true. The city has always welcomed people with open arms.

For visually-impaired travellers, however, the obvious question is how they’ll be able to see the beauty of Mumbai. Well, the answer lies in the fact that sightseeing isn’t all there is to travelling. Visually-impaired people can feel the pulse of Mumbai through multi-sensory experiences like listening the sounds and languages, taking in the smell of the surroundings and feeling the vibe of the place.

Mumbai is one cosmopolitan city in the country which is very safe for such people. Here, we are sharing a few simple and easy tips with readers to ensure a safe stay in Mumbai.

Do Not Trust People Completely

When you have signed up for a holiday for visually-impaired people in Mumbai, you’ll need to travel extensively as the city covers a large landmass. To get the right directions or to find the exact spot, you need to take help from the local people. However, while asking for directions or help, pay attention to the tone of their voices or any change in the environment to understand the truth of their words. Being vigilant is the most important factor while vacationing in an unknown city.

Carry Your Documents

If you are a foreign national who’s come to India on a traveller’s visa, you should carry a copy of the original documents with you . It is also better to keep a list of contact numbers of your fellow travellers or family members with you, in case you need to call any of them.

Don’t Feel Shy To Ask

In my opinion, the best way for visually-impaired travellers to feel something is to touch it. So, when your guide or fellow travellers are describing something to you, you should ask if you can touch that thing to get a better idea of it.

Learn A Few Sign Languages And Local Phrases

Accessible holidays in Mumbai can be really rewarding if you learn few local phrases or some sign languages. Local words and sign languages are very helpful if you are looking for help or asking for directions.

Don’t Leave Your Belongings Unguarded

When making rounds in Mumbai, don’t leave your belongings unguarded. Always carry your bag with you. Never hand over your belongings to someone whom you don’t know.

Make Connections

To make your accessible holiday a true exception, you should try to connect with other visually-impaired people in Mumbai. They may have the best advice on how to explore the city without seeing it.

_

Featured image used for representative purposes only.