‘Veere Di Wedding’ Is Neither Women-Centric Nor Powerful

So, I was just reminded by social media that there is an upcoming movie called “Veere Di Wedding”. Granted, it hasn’t been released yet, but its trailer and ‘Tareefan” music video left me utterly annoyed. While it’s difficult to not groove to the beat of the song, there are so many things wrong with the music video (and the trailer).

This is NOT how you make a women-centric film. This is NOT how you portray women empowerment. This is NOT what you make of feminism. Yes, there are people calling it women-centric and powerful with a powerful message. Like, seriously?

This movie (read, music video) shows typically high-class women (read, people) doing everything they want because they are loaded with money. That’s all that it’s about.

Now, before you start calling me by colourful names such as ‘anti-feminist’ or ‘meninist’, here’s the thing –

• I have as much of a problem with a man drooling between two semi-naked women as much as I have here with a woman gyrating between two semi-naked men.
  • I have as much as a problem with a man grabbing a woman’s ass in a ladies’ washroom as much as I have here with a woman grabbing a man’s ass in a men’s washroom.

We are raising voices against the objectification of women (in the name of  ‘fun’) in Bollywood movies (and worldwide), but it’s okay to objectify men (in the name of ‘fun’)? How? Why? I’m failing to comprehend.

I don’t care that the movie has an ‘A’ rating. What I do care about is – people are going to watch this. Some will throw this in the face of feminism, others are going to act it out, and both will be thinking that this is real feminism.

Let’s develop some perspective, shall we? Movies influence the general population. Movies set in this era, and this time, do that even more. Movie makers have a teeny-tiny massive social responsibility to set forth a positive message, that induces non-toxic behaviour amongst the millennial. Sadly, I don’t need to see “Veere Di Wedding” to know that it won’t be doing that. The music video says it all, as did the trailer.