This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Tejaswinee Roychowdhury. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘Veere Di Wedding’ Is Neither Women-Centric Nor Powerful

More from Tejaswinee Roychowdhury

So, I was just reminded by social media that there is an upcoming movie called “Veere Di Wedding”. Granted, it hasn’t been released yet, but its trailer and ‘Tareefan” music video left me utterly annoyed. While it’s difficult to not groove to the beat of the song, there are so many things wrong with the music video (and the trailer).

This is NOT how you make a women-centric film. This is NOT how you portray women empowerment. This is NOT what you make of feminism. Yes, there are people calling it women-centric and powerful with a powerful message. Like, seriously?

This movie (read, music video) shows typically high-class women (read, people) doing everything they want because they are loaded with money. That’s all that it’s about.

Now, before you start calling me by colourful names such as ‘anti-feminist’ or ‘meninist’, here’s the thing –

• I have as much of a problem with a man drooling between two semi-naked women as much as I have here with a woman gyrating between two semi-naked men.
  • I have as much as a problem with a man grabbing a woman’s ass in a ladies’ washroom as much as I have here with a woman grabbing a man’s ass in a men’s washroom.

We are raising voices against the objectification of women (in the name of  ‘fun’) in Bollywood movies (and worldwide), but it’s okay to objectify men (in the name of ‘fun’)? How? Why? I’m failing to comprehend.

I don’t care that the movie has an ‘A’ rating. What I do care about is – people are going to watch this. Some will throw this in the face of feminism, others are going to act it out, and both will be thinking that this is real feminism.

Let’s develop some perspective, shall we? Movies influence the general population. Movies set in this era, and this time, do that even more. Movie makers have a teeny-tiny massive social responsibility to set forth a positive message, that induces non-toxic behaviour amongst the millennial. Sadly, I don’t need to see “Veere Di Wedding” to know that it won’t be doing that. The music video says it all, as did the trailer.

1. Anushree Vaidya

Very true?

2. maanvi makker

Bullshit. In an interview, Sonam Kareena, swara and Shikha clearly said not a women centric movie its just a movie. stop making everything about feminism, stop making everything about women empowerment. It’s women like you who make it tough for these kind of movies to be made. it’s just a movie, it’s a means of entertainment so was Gangs of Wasseypur so was BA Pass nobody questions those movies to be something that was falsely portrayed. Almost every millennial woman smokes and drinks it’s just the reality of society and the era we’re living in. its nothing related to feminism and trying to show how women empowerment works when women start to smoke and drink and have sex casually. If this were a movie about a man and a man would have done all of this like in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara all the guys did this. in that, it did not become About Men drinking or men smoking, it was just men having fun and being that is what this movie is about it is about 4 women just *being* in their life not trying to prove you or anyone anything for Heaven’s sake please get a perspective because you definitely need one. On the other hand if you’re so concerned about feminism please try and promote movies like nill battey Sannata, Gulab gang, et cetera, which are being made for this purpose instead of putting the pressure of proving something to the society on commercial movies like these which are just for fun and entertainment.

1. Tejaswinee Roychowdhury

Hi there!
      I suggest you attempt to grab the essence of what I have written. If however, you have failed, here is a clarification post for you-

https://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2018/05/movies-and-feminism-dealing-with-the-usual-responses/

3. Sukriti Sen

Hi there!
    Firstly, neither was the movie made to portray feminism, nor claimed to be a women centric movie.
    Secondly, please follow their interviews on YouTube & Radio. It clearly says that the movie is all about 4 girls having fun. They may be rich or broke. It’s the story line.
    Why can’t we just have fun watching a chick flick? Do all movies need to have a meaning?
    I’m sorry, but there are so many people making meaningful movies. And this could be one. Let’s not judge too soon.

And my saying “that’s not how a movie is made or women empowerment looks like” why doesn’t someone who understand that make the film instead? I’m sure the filmmakers, actors, and the entire team is educated & mature enough to have made this film.
    I’m not against your thoughts, but I object the subject of this blog. Donot claim unless you know it. Then you should have spoken about Pyar Ka Panchanama too.
    We live in the 21st century. It’s high time to let go of things like this and focus on the real stuff.

Thanks!

1. Tejaswinee Roychowdhury

Hi there!

4. Akshaya Avadhani

Well the leads have clearly said that the movie doesn’t have anything to do with women empowerment or feminism. In their words it is just a movie of 4 girl friends. People may not like it but we have to accept many women can relate to characters!!!

1. Tejaswinee Roychowdhury

Hi there!

More from Tejaswinee Roychowdhury

By Aqsa Shaikh

By Roy Watson

By Oorja Bhatnagar