An Appeal To India’s Youth To Make Their Votes Count In The 2019 Election

By Shreya Sood:

According to a recent report, an estimated 1o crore first-time voters may well cast their votes in the 2019 election. But it’s sad to note that young people aren’t much bothered about politics, these days. In the 2014 general election, many constituencies in different states saw a turnout of a maximum of 76%.

It’s high time that these people show their priorities in the polls and get acquainted with the fact that ‘every vote counts’. Here’s something to cultivate advocacy in these potentially-powerful sections of the electorate:

Congratulations, Bhagya Vidhatas!
You were born with a mind,
And now you are, in your glorious youthful prime.
With a license to light a candle whenever you witness a crime,
Why don’t you perorate to make your country one of a kind?

I know the pleasure is immense when you opt for a ride,
But what about the right,
This Constitution accorded you with its might?
Yes! It’s Article 326 – it is for you to abide.

They say our government is all about gerontocracy.
To bust the sham,
Try not to be apathetic – and this election, do remove this ‘glam’.
Why complain every time to end racism and violence,
When that ballot in your hand can help break the silence?

It’s important you know your worth, and utilise the power you truly wield,
To vote for the right person,with a reason as just as an uncontentious yield.
It’s time you choose wisely, with a vision to pay heed –
Someone beyond your sentiments of caste, colour and creed!

This isn’t a campaign, nor a political requisition,
Rather, an appeal to save our country from tribulation.
It’s time you knew your strength,
So galvanise into action,
Go cast your vote,
And choose the perfection.

Take a step now, for ignorance is no more a bliss,
And that single tick could help eradicate the crisis.
Let’s not wait another moment to break this convention,
Rather, show the world our democratic intervention!

_

Featured image used for representative purposes only.