Australia Stops India’s Winning Spree In The 2018 Hockey Champions Trophy Tournament

The Indian hockey team took the field against the defending champions Australia confident, but the outcome wasn’t favourable. They failed to capitalise on their attempts and were defeated.

India’s winning spree was stopped by the more energetic Australia. In their third match in the ongoing Champions Trophy in Holland, it seemed as if India missed the compactness they showed in their game against Argentina. Moreover, the destructive force they had shown against Pakistan was also absent.

In the sixth minute, Australia got the lead through Sharp’s goal. Afterwards, Tom Craig and Trent Mitten increased the tally with two more exciting goals. Indian players responded with fast attacking play, but unfortunately, they missed several penalty corners.

The muddled defensive work by India didn’t help things either. Even with a player less, Australia didn’t lag behind one bit and scored the third goal to take the game beyond India’s reach.

India reduced the goal margin through Harmanpreet just at the nick of the time – two minutes before the end of the match. However, that was the closest India could get to forcing a draw.