This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shakeel Anjum. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

If You’ve Faced Any Of These Cyber-Crime Scenarios, These Are The Laws You Can Use

More from Shakeel Anjum

Listed below are some common cyber-crime scenarios which can attract prosecution as per the penalties and offences prescribed in the IT Act 2000 (amended via 2008) Act.

1) Harassment via fake public profile on social networking site: A fake profile of a person is created on a social networking site with the correct address, residential information or contact details but they are labelled as a ‘prostitute’ or a person of ‘loose character’. This leads to harassment of the victim.

Provisions applicable: Sections 66A, 67 of IT Act and Section 509 of the Indian Penal Code.

2) Online hate community: Online hate community is created inciting a religious group to act or pass objectionable remarks against a country, national figures etc.

Provisions applicable: Section 66A of IT Act and 153A & 153B of the Indian Penal Code.

3) Email account hacking: If victim’s email account is hacked and obscene emails are sent to people in victim’s address book.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43, 66, 66A, 66C, 67, 67A and 67B of IT Act.

4) Credit card fraud: Unsuspecting victims would use infected computers to make online transactions.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43, 66, 66C, 66D of IT Act and section 420 of the IPC.

5) Web defacement: The homepage of a website is replaced with a pornographic or defamatory page. Government sites generally face the wrath of hackers on symbolic days.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43 and 66 of IT Act and Sections 66F, 67 and 70 of IT Act also apply in some cases.

6) Introducing viruses, worms, backdoors, rootkits, trojans, bugs: All of the above are some sort of malicious programs which are used to destroy or gain access to some electronic information.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43, 66, 66A of IT Act and Section 426 of Indian Penal Code.

7) Cyber terrorism: Many terrorists are using virtual (G-Drive, FTP sites) and physical storage media (USB’s, hard drives) for hiding information and records of their illicit business.

Provisions applicable: Conventional terrorism laws may apply along with Section 69 of IT Act.

8) Online sale of illegal articles: Applicable when the sale of narcotics, drugs weapons and wildlife is facilitated by the internet.

Provisions applicable: Generally conventional laws apply in these cases.

9) Cyber pornography: This is among the largest businesses on the internet. Pornography may not be illegal in many countries, but child pornography is.

Provisions applicable: Sections 67, 67A and 67B of the IT Act.

10) Phishing and email scams: Phishing involves fraudulently acquiring sensitive information through masquerading as a trusted entity. (E.g. Passwords, credit card information)

Provisions Applicable: Section 66, 66A and 66D of IT Act and Section 420 of IPC

11) Theft of confidential information: Many business organisations store their confidential information in computer systems. This information is targeted by rivals, criminals and disgruntled employees.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43, 66, 66B of IT Act and Section 426 of Indian Penal Code.

12) Source code theft: A source code generally is the most coveted and important “crown jewel” asset of a company.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43, 66, 66B of IT Act and Section 63 of Copyright Act.

13) Tax evasion and money laundering: Money launderers and people doing illegal business activities hide their information in virtual as well as physical activities.

Provisions applicable: Income Tax Act and Prevention of Money Laundering Act. IT Act may apply case-wise.

14) Online share trading fraud: It has become mandatory for investors to have their demat accounts linked with their online banking accounts which are generally accessed unauthorized, thereby leading to share trading frauds.

Provisions applicable: Sections 43, 66, 66C, 66D of IT Act and Section 420 of IPC.

1. Divya Samriti Dhatwalia

In this article Mr. Shakeel have listed the common Cyber-Crimes which can attract Prosecution in It Act 2000. It includes Harassment via fake public profile on social networking site in which a fake profile of a person is created on a social networking site , Online hate community, E-mail account hacking, credit card frauds, Web Introducing viruses, worms, backdoors, rootkits, trojans, bugs to destroy or gain access to some electronic information,Cyber terrorism, Online sale of illegal articles, Cyber pornography, Phishing and email scams, Data Theft and many more such crimes it also provides us information about various Sections which deals with the respective Crimes given in Indian Penal Code 1860 and Information Technology Act 2000. This provides the victim to initiates a criminal proceeding against the person committing crime.

2. Ankit Srivastava

In this editorial, Shakeel has listed the common Cyber Crimes which might entice Prosecution in IT Act 2000.

3. Tejaswini Prasad

Excellent compilation!
    Mr. Shakeel has touched upon nearly all the very important sections that can make the life of a cyber criminal miserable.
    Keep up the good work!

4. Pallabipaulkxj

This article has included various cyber offences as incorporated under Information Technology Act 2000 and its amendment in 2008.That includes offences like cyber pornography,phissing,online sale in illegal article,cyber terrorism etc.

5. Anushka Singh

All the important sections are covered and mentioned beautifully.

6. Sarvesh Gupta

Thanks for sharing this types of articles.

7. Athira Suresh

Good to see article on this because every day we hear about such cyber crimes but not everyone is aware of the provisions applicable.

8. @amanporwal75

Good for learning.

9. Megha Malhotra

Very well explained and comprehensive article sir. Thankyou for sharing this useful article.

10. Shivani Sangwan

The article is a very good way to make people aware about the crimes that they are unaware of and often fall prey to. The article also discuss about the legal provisions which are most important to be informed.

11. sneha khandelwal

This article is just absolutely a stunning way to clearly help people and intimate them about the crimes and their punishment by mentioning the sections along with it.
    Legal provisions attached with every cyber crime will be helpful to learn and implement too..

12. Ananya Yadav

The main issue with cyber crimes are that people don’t have much knowledge about them. Explaining different crimes will help people suffering identify the wrong. Attaching legal provisions will give a sense of security to the everyone. Legal provisions will also have a deterrence effect in general in order to prevent people from committing such offences.

13. Isha Baloni

Maximum people are facing such kind of problems in our society but they can’t raise their voice either because of fair or being less informative about the laws. This article is the key to the people to fight against those crimes. It is delightful.

14. arpita goyal

Everyone faces cybercrime nowadays, but no one knows what remedies are available to them and what are the laws for their protection. This article provides for all the laws for protection against cybercrime in a comprehensive manner.

15. Vanshita

This article gives much clarity about various cybercrimes and what possible provisions can apply to them .It is very helpful to understand what kind of cybercrime has happened because it is really essential to know beofre using any provision.

16. Geetanjali Sisodia

This article gives detail about various cybercrimes. and this shows emerging cybercrimes in our society.

17. vatsal lakdawala

A very informative and helpful for the people who have been victim to such crimes and can be very helpful for them and can show them the way for attaining justice.

18. Sushali Sinha

The article provides a limpid bifarcation of cybercrimes and the laws related for them. Without the advance knowledge of this no one can anticipate for justice.

19. Sushali Sinha

The different kinds of cyber crimes and the provisions provided for them are a must to know for every individual who is capable of working and using a online platform. To save one’s personal and also professional life and avoiding illegal interference of third party, one should always take precautions and safety measures and think before posting anything online. Post after getting targeted they should not neglect the situation, instead take strict actions against them and reach out to nearest officials. The article provides a broad description about the provision concerned with the crimes, respectively.

20. Bhumanjay Tomar

I,m totally agree with all policies to prevent harassment at public space or any of the social media platform that occurs with many

Hope all this activity n platforms prevent harassment just need a lit bit awareness among public to educate about these various policies.

21. Bhumanjay Tomar

Sincerely n honestly speaking the truth that first we need to aware ourselves regarding such policies n then others even not interested ones need to take interest n part of such activity

Otherwise these cyber crime is unstoppable we not aware n cyber bullying fraud committed like this

In other words We need to be mature enough like we fight this Corona we also have to fight for the cyber crime too then only be it successful

22. deepak purohit

Hi, I am Deepak Purohit
    This article deals with various cyber crimes and their punishments. It is good because defining the cyber crime and than providing relevant laws and measures as how to protect and prevent from the cyber crimes.

23. Kriti Sharma

Very well written and inclusion of sections along with the offences is a good decision.
    Informative article

24. Kumar Adarsh

Nandini Agarwal
    The above article explains us various types of cybercrime taking place around us ,from which we all are not even very much aware of. The article is helpful as well as informative. More and more number of people should be made aware about these cybercrimes especially womens.

25. Devyash Jain

Must read for everyone!In these times where we are hugely dependent on our phones and laptops,one must be aware of the risks it poses and what are the protections available.Indeed very insightful!

26. HARSHADA NANDESHWAR

Wonderful Article!!!!depicting the chances of happening such crimes and relevant for everyone to be well versed with it. The series of Cyber crimes listed here with protectionary laws and measures are dealt nicely by the writer. We must read and promote others to read the same to bring up society get rid of such harber waves of cyber crimes, occuring in our daily lives……..

27. HARSHADA NANDESHWAR

Nicely written article, working on very much minute and key cyber crimes happening all around us….. The article is bringing awareness amongst it’s readers and promoting the readers to pass on such knowledge to others well…. To make India be aware and get rid of such cyber crimes and even protect themselves with the laws listed there in…… 👍👍👍

28. Saurabh Bhandari

Informative article

29. HARSHADA NANDESHWAR

Nice article… Depicting all the cyber crimes in a nutshell….

30. Sakshi Sachan

this is a nice article, it gives a good idea as to how there are so many types of cyber attacks, some unthinkable by ordinary people too.

More from Shakeel Anjum

By Prasun Goswami

By Ankita Marwaha