Facing Cash-Crunch, Congress Seeks Crowdfunding For Political Campaigning

The Congress is the grand old political party of India. But is it turning into a humble party due to its failure in garnering people’s votes?

In four years, its voter base was snatched by the BJP. Has it also affected their funding? This is why, perhaps, there was an urgent requirement to ask the public for monetary help.

Where once the Congress held power in 13 states of the country, now it rules only two. The party’s president, Rahul Gandhi, has been trying hard to revive the party.

The party at present perhaps doesn’t have enough money to take on the BJP in the 2019 general elections. During the financial year of 2016-17, its income was reported to be ₹225.36 crore. Its corporate earnings had also reportedly dried up in the wake of its continuous defeats in assembly elections.

In lieu of all this, the party has had to resort to asking for small donations from the public.

Meanwhile, Shashi Tharoor has said that the party should not feel embarrassed to ask for small contributions. He tweeted: “We should call on all concerned citizens to help us face the moneybags of the BJP.”

This is why the Congress is now considering crowdfunding for its political campaigns.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey