This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by INDIAN FOWLER. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Director Of IIM-Rohtak Has Been Accused of Sexual Harassment And I Am Not Surprised

A few days ago, I read the news about Prof. Dheeraj Sharma, the Director of IIM, Rohtak being booked for sexual harassment by an employee. I am writing this piece because the news also said that the authorities at IIM, Rohtak instead of choosing to investigate the case are accusing the woman of defaming him and that her complaint was an afterthought. I have worked on a few projects with Prof. Dheeraj Sharma while he was at IIM, Ahmedabad, and I have had some uncomfortable experiences.

Often our meetings would go on for long, where he would share with me about his private life – former romantic relationships, conflicts, etc. He also spoke about him trusting me and not sharing this with anyone else. I kept it to myself. I was uncomfortable about this from the beginning but only later realised how inappropriate this was and was crossing professional boundaries. I often did not know what to say, and also did not have the understanding of what I should do.

I was confused because he spoke about the harassment on campus and how he was trying to save the girls from the boys. He also spoke about how he was okay with ‘orgies’ but not with some of the male students making false promises to the girls on campus and being engaged in flings.

Once when I spoke about working on a challenging project he called me a “wannabe man” and that I must remember that it is a man’s world and will be. Hearing about my ambitions, he also spoke about how I came from a middle-class family, and I should thusly make my career choices.

I worked with him on a project, for which I never got credit. He said he would do it in the next edition, but that never happened. After my experience of working with him, I heard from various other students about him having subjected similar or worse behaviour on other women on campus. Students also reported saying that many rated his classes ‘low’ because he was not competent.

I had decided to let this go – because… what’s the point now? But it somewhere stayed in my head because it scarred my experience with one of the best institutes in the country. I was just glad that I was out of it. I am SURE that many other women have gone through this. I can now understand how and why it is so difficult to come up and speak and report against sexual abuse at the workplace. There is a constant backlash of victim blaming, and the men with the power and authority end up getting away scot-free. This threatens the victim with a higher risk after speaking. I hope others speak up too. Because this is not just fair to me or her, but to other students, and to the education system in India.

Note: As of July 2018, the FIR lodged against Dheeraj Sharma has been cancelled by the Rohtak Police.

1. Ritik Thakur

The charges against this man has been removed as it was found out that the women was faking the case of sexual harassment. This man is not guilty. Still you haven’t taken down this article. This shows that you are no different than other news media. I loved your news but now i know you are no different. Certainly this is no youthkiawaaz. #irony

2. Shirsendu Nandi

Please note that the lady has lodged case in the court of law complaining foul play in the investigation and she is quite justified in moving to court and the case is pending. In our country it is very common for people with power to manipulate the process of investigation.

3. Shalini

really it’s right some man’s always show off they are mature, responsible and respected because of their power money and some time because of their background when they belongs from a leader family and powerful family but when a girl stand against those then why that girl is shameless, character less etc how… when she is against his then they show his money power, political power etc but why their are prostitutes go there why are you think and saw every girl with same way how… really but it’s too shameless for us.. thanks for share this

4. Capsica

The complainant herself created this content and tried to bring in more fictional characters to endorse her forgery. There is no way she could sustain her false charges when every one knows that she has history of pressing false charges against honest professors right from her days in IIM Ahmedabad.
    Prof. Venkat Rao and Prof. Jerome Joseph are two such veteran near retirement age professors of IIM A who were accused by her (all false accusations) coz they were the ones who are questioning her on her grades, and performance during her FPM with IIM A.
    So basically a compulsive accusers who can go to any extent to hide her own shortfalls and failures by accusing innocent professors across IIMs.

5. Manisha Bharadwaj

Youth Ki Awaaz team, just any allegation that has me too scope is not deemed to be true or credible. I am surprised, even after knowing that the allegations were false, FIR has been cancelled, you guys are still keeping this article live on your platform. Completely misleading and false article with no credibility whatsoever.

6. Manisha Bharadwaj

Also, I am astonished to know how ungrateful and selfish can people be. Accusing people when your undue demands are not accepted. If this is how all women start behaving and accusing any one who takes a professional stand, very soon, this place will become the most unsecured and oppressed community at any work place for men and a biased environment with hard work and excellence will take over favors and mediocrity.

7. Anuja21 Vardhan

Really surprised to see this article still there on YKA. Editor YKA, do you think just mentioning a comment at the end of the article mentioning the FIR is cancelled with do justice to the man whose image has been tarnished by this fake account on your blog.
    Closely watching this entire incidence, I must say this women had one and only agenda, to tarnish the image of Prof. Sharma. and WHY? Coz thats the only way to hide ones own short falls. She used to come drunk to institute to take classes, she used to misbehave with students and faculty under the influence of alcohol. So putting blame on some one else to hide own adverse behavior was the best resolve for her.
    And I must tell you. this is not the first time, during her short tenure in IIM Rohtak, she had tried to press false charges on the Dean first, which were found to be false, she then put false accusation on one of her colleagues who supported her in all per professional and personal. no regret what so ever.
    More surprisingly, when she was terminated due to her ill behavior with her colleagues and students in the class, she tried to blame Director. It was a complete afterthought and FIR was filed after 1 month of her termination.

8. Anuja21 Vardhan

I must say women like her tarnish the image and purpose of moments like #MeToo where dragging an innocent with false charges to gain attention and hide own misconduct has been hitting the society so badly that will damage the whole ecosystem that we need to understand before reading, endorsing, or publishing such illogical articles.

More from INDIAN FOWLER

By Amrita

By Mohit Nimal

By Adnan Hamid