I Write To Express What I Believe In

Editor's note: Youth Ki Awaaz has turned 12, and this post is a part of #WhyIWrite, a campaign to celebrate Youth Ki Awaaz users who have spoken up about issues that matter to them. If you'd like to share what motivates you to write, publish your story here!

It’s simple. I write because I have an itch to express myself through words.

Of course, there are two kinds of writings that I use. The first kind is the creative kind that I use to express my emotions, especially to vent out depressing thoughts. I have found that for someone like me who finds it difficult to visit a therapist or a family member or a friend, writing is a great way to communicate. Essentially, through my writing, I attempt to communicate with myself rather than focusing on any kind of audience. Granted, it’s difficult but it always almost seems to work for me.

The second kind is the social one. For example, here on YKA, I am a very opinionated person, and I like expressing myself through points and explanations. I perceive a lot of things in a way that many wouldn’t, and I believe in putting it out there. Of course, I don’t do it expecting everyone to agree but I know that there are a handful of people out there who are thinking along the same lines as I am and probably cannot, or fearing social media bullies, do not express out themselves loud. I think I am, in a very little way, providing a support for one to raise their voice to make themselves heard. Minority opinions are still opinions, and that is what drives me to write and raise my voice on a number of issues, no matter how small, and no matter what the majority perceives of me. I write what I believe in.

Like I said, its simple. I write because I have an itch to express myself that won’t go away unless I pen it down.