This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Katy Poenaru. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

To All My Rainbow Friends Across The World, With Love From Romania

June is Pride Month in Romania, my country. A celebration that is met with hope by the LGBTQI+ community and with disdain by too many around them. So, IDAHOTB (International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia) is more than necessary as a day dedicated to the colorful spectrum of sexual and gender diversity, and to the rightful, open presence of our fellow human beings—the Children of the Rainbow.

It is also the day when we can face and try to diminish the dark shadow of hatred born out of ignorance, prejudice, bigotry, and fear. We are about to build a new world together, an inclusive one, an accomodating one. And we need new stories that speak about our all embracing beauty, diversity, and complexity.

I grew up on the myths and stories of the world and I became a storyteller myself. So, I dedicate my stories and illustrations to all my Rainbow friends, known and unknown yet!

The Two Scheherazade

The Storyteller and the Poet have met under the Tree of Magic, somewhere, in an island of the Universe. They shared stories of love and their love blossomed hidden between the lines.

Wild Woman

The story of a love never fulfilled, a love on the run over centuries, still fresh and blazing and yearning for. Two women with wild spirits, a She-wolf and a Cougar, chasing each other under the magic of the Blood Moon.

Shooting Star

A story of love between two young men, caught between the uniqueness of their feelings and the duty towards their family and loved ones.

An Angel And A Nightflyer In Love

A story of two young men coming from two nations separated by history and prejudice, willing to fight for the treasure of their heart and a better future for all.

The Mirror

Imagine walking in someone else’s dream. This story is an encounter through the glass of the mirror, of a love in the world of dreams.

Ariel

I am who I say that I am !

Because I am the only one who knows, I am the only one walking in my shoes. This illustration depicts Ariel, the Angel, born in the body of a girl, but being the young man in the mirror.

Tree of Love

And finally, the Tree of Love, where each of us can find our place, and where love blossoms in all its beautiful diversity.

In this ever changing world, with the ups and downs of life, with the turmoil of events, and the clashes of ideas and ideals, I stand with my LGBTQI+ friends and I walk with them in the hope of a better future.

May 17, IDAHOTB, is the day of remembrance, togetherness, awareness and with each celebration we are diminishing the power of hatred and prejudice. Because we are one in love and humanity.

More from Katy Poenaru

By Mohan Singh

By Taha Iqbal

By Atul Upadhyay