New Laws For Environmental Protection May Have Been Passed, But Do The People Care?

The environment is already suffocating due to the atrocities it has faced at the hands of humans. Very less is being done to improve this scenario. Thankfully, a few radical steps have been taken by state governments across the country and the Supreme Court, recently, which has given a ray of hope in this bleak scenario.

Plastic Ban In Maharashtra

The government of Maharashtra has taken a radical step and banned the use of plastic all over the state. While it is a great move for the environment, very less has been said in its appreciation. Ironically, people have instead come forward highlighting the adverse effects the ban will have on the daily life of the masses.

Although some industries (like meat and fish) might be initially affected, once we adapt to the new plastic-free, healthy lifestyle, it is going to do more good than bad.

Regulation Of AC Temperature

The Power Ministry has asked AC manufactures to set 24 degree celsius as the default temperature in air conditioning. This will control the emission of CFCs and greenhouse gases which lead to global warming and ozone depletion. However, people I know have criticised the move, as they claim it will reduce their level of comfort. And there are many people who will still continue to reduce the AC temperature to 16 degree celsius. However, all said and done, this is simply a matter of leaving the luxuries behind and focusing on the necessities.

This shows our obsession with luxuries and the extent to which we ‘care’ about the impact they leave on the environment. Just by accommodating a bit, we can contribute towards the environment before it becomes too late.